Chapter 44

I stuffed the last few things I needed in my book bag. The rest was in a duffle bag already packed in my car so my parents wouldn't see it. There was one last thing I wanted to pack. My sketchbook, but when I found it something seemed out of order.

"Mom!" I hollered downstairs. "Did you mess with my sketchbook?"

"I haven't even seen it in months, Riley," she yelled back.

I sighed and flipped through it, trying to pick up what was out of place. That's when I realized the very first picture I drew of Sam was missing. I didn't know who took it or even why, but as I glanced at the clock I knew I was running out of time.

I quickly stuffed my sketchbook in my book bag and swung it on my shoulder. On my way out of the room I grabbed my cap and gown, which were purely for show, and headed downstairs to face my parents as their perfect daughter one last time. As I reached to turn the lights off my eyes landed on the note left on my pillow. The note my parents would find when they realized I wasn't at graduation.

"I still don't understand why you have to take all of that with you, just to go to a party," my mom questioned, as I walked down the stairs.

I rolled my eyes, playing my part perfectly. "You know how Corey is, mom. The perfect party outfit takes work."

"Can't you two just come back here after commencement to get ready?" she asked.

"Mom, stop being paranoid. The party is at her house!" I complained.

"Alright. Alright. Come here," she said, opening her arms. I stepped over to her and wrapped my arms tightly around her, as she put hers around me as carefully as she could. "My little girl is growing up so fast," she whispered softly.

I pulled out of her arms and looked her in the eyes. I tried not to focus on how she was feeling because that was only going to make this harder. Instead I said, "I love you, mom."

"I love you too, hun," she replied. "Oh, and here, an early grad gift from me and your dad."

I looked down at what looked like a fake check. "Mom?" I started to ask.

She smiled. "We already deposited the money in your account."

"Mom, that's a lot of money," I pointed out.

"It's nothing," my mom shrugged. "Your dad finally took the promotion." A few days after I got out of the hospital my dad was offered Jay's dad's old job. It was a huge promotion, with a lot more money and a huge bonus. My dad had been hesitant to take the job because it had been Evan's dad who offered it to him. However since this was what he had been working for, he eventually caved.

"Thanks mom!" I said, wrapping my arms around her in another hug, as I tried to keep back the tears.

My mom pulled back and quickly wiped a tear from her face. "You better get going now, before you mess up my make up," she said, as she waved me out the door.

Once I was in my car with my book bag in the passenger seat and my duffle bag in the trunk, I pulled out of the drive way and headed in the direction of the school. When I reached the school I didn't pull in and find a parking space. I didn't walk into the school and join my classmates, waiting excitedly to walk out on the field. Instead I kept driving, further and further away. Towards a place that might give me the answers I was looking for.

You see there was one thing clear in my mind and that was that Sam had saved me. I couldn't remember who was attacking me or why, but Sam saved my life. Then after reading his monologue I knew he still loved me and I refused to sit back as he walked into something dangerous to try and keep me safe. So I went looking for the one person who could give me answers, I went looking for Evan.

Stay tuned for the next book in the series: The Searching Secret