Chapter 21

"What the heck were you thinking?" he asked again.

She smiled as she walked over to the refrigerator. "I was thinking I'd have chicken for dinner," she replied.

"Sara," he said bluntly.

"What?" she asked innocently.

"How could you do that?" He asked again, getting annoyed at her avoidance.

"Do what?"

"Why the heck did you get my cousin involved!?" he snapped.

"Your cousin, Sara, is about as easy to manipulate as you are," she replied, as she shut the refrigerator. "She was more than willing to hurt Riley." She laughed, "In fact she even thinks this was all her idea."

"Well it was stupid. This whole thing most likely ruined your plan. There is no way Riley will ever talk to me now."

"If anything this made my plan move along faster. I got your cousin to do a lot of the dirty work and something had to smack you out of this little crush you have on Riley."

"I don't have a crush on Riley," he informed her.

"Oh, Evan," she said, grabbing his chin. "But you do, and I know you do. And I can't have you messing up the plan because you are falling for her." She roughly let go of his face. "And now you know how easy it is for me to make Riley hate you. So it is time for you to stop acting with your heart and start using your brain! Your job is not to fall for her. Your job is to make her fall! So do it!"

He sat back down at the table knowing he was overpowered. She was right and he knew it, there was no reason to even try to fight her on this. He needed to stop caring about Riley and do his job. He sighed, "So what did Sara do?"

"Really all she did was deliver my message."

"Ok, then, what did you do?"

She smiled, "Jay is going to be moving in the next couple of weeks or so. His dad has been transferred to a different branch of the company. And Sara thinks she did everything." She laughed "But she doesn't have the power that I have."

"Riley is losing her best friend. She'll be devastated," He concluded still thinking over everything she just said.

"Exactly, and she'll turn to the only person she thinks can help."

"The boss's son," he said, finally understanding.

"Riley will come running back to you, the moment she finds out. She'll be putty in your hands. All you have to do now is wait."

                                                                                                -----

"And he just left you there!" Sam snapped.

"I didn't want to get back in the car with him," I said softly. I kept my head down like a puppy in trouble, as Sam paced the floor in front of me.

"I can't believe you even went with him in the first place!" he yelled.

"I know, I shouldn't have," I replied. Then as an attempt to defend myself I added, "But I did because I kinda owed him."

"What do you mean you owed him!?" he asked harshly. I felt his anger continuously grow with every word I said.

"It's a long story," I shrugged.