Glossary

Bourgeoisie - the middle or upper-middle class, particularly in France. They were affluent and had financial and cultural capital. During the French Revolution, they were targeted and executed and after the revolution, reduced in numbers significantly, while many do exist.

Marianne - The national personification of the French Republic and the French Revolution as the personification of fraternity, liberty, equality and reason.

Pour Marianne - 'For Marianne' i.e. 'for liberty/fraternity/equality/reason'

Cabaret - A form of theatrical performance featuring music, song, dance, recitation or drama.

Le Chat Noir - A cabaret venue located in the bohemian neighbourhood of Montmartre in the 18th arrondissement. Wealthy patrons and bohemian artists mingled here.

Can-Can - a highly energetic, physically demanding dance that became popular in dance halls in the 1840s.

Palais du Louvre - Home to the iconic Louvre Museum and a former royal residence.

Notre-Dame de Paris - A medieval Catholic church on the Ile-de-Cite. Iconic for its French Gothic Architecture.

Quartier Pigalle - Seated between the 9th and 18th arrondissements, it is home to Paris's notorious red-light district.

Jardin du Trocadero - An open garden on the southeast of the Seine.

The University of London - One of London's leading research universities and one of the first universities to enrol women and offer them degrees.

Universite de Paris - Also known as the Sorbonne, named after the building in the Latin Quarter where the university is based. A highly prestigious university with many faculties and partnerships.

Troisieme Republique - The Third French Republic. The system of government was adopted in France in 1870 when the Second French Empire collapsed during the Franco-Prussian War. The early days were marred with political disruptions as a result of the war, loss of French regions to Prussia, social upheaval and the establishment of the revolutionary Paris Commune in 1871. The early governments considered re-establishing the monarchy but growing support for the republican form of government among the French populace quashed this.

Monaco - A sovereign city-state on the southeast corner of France. A playground for the rich with the tax-free status of residence and the highly-successful casinos, owned by the ruling Grimaldi family.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Author's Note: As the book is set in France, there will be French sentences and French words. A 900-day streak on Duolingo has not made me bilingual in any way, so I have relied on Google Translate. There will be errors, I know - please forgive me and please politely correct me.

Adelaide does not speak French (but everyone around her will). As the book is mainly from Adelaide's perspective, the French WILL NOT BE translated unless someone is directly translating it for her.