Chapter 15

CHAPTER 15

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

I hurried up the steps to our suite and as I opened the door and practically stumbled in, I jumped in fright at Florence, standing with her hands on her hips seething.

"Adelaide Elizabeth Woodhouse!" She cried, my full name becoming a common occurrence on this trip. "Where the devil have you been?" She was angry as I tried to gather my breath. "I told you 10pm and it is now 1am!"

"I..." I tried to find the words. "Did you find Theodore?" I decided to take this another way.

"What?" Florence questioned in confusion.

"Theodore...did you find him?"

She calmed and shook her head, her hand rubbing her chin. "No...we called the gentleman's club and they said that he had already left so he and his friends have gone somewhere and not told us."

"What if they are on their way back?"

Florence sighed. "Depends where they've gone."

"So...what did Adler want? Did you tell him Theodore was...unheard from?"

Florence crossed her arms. "Adler wanted to warn Theodore that this...radical group might target him if they realise he is in the country. Theodore's skills as a detective are well-renowned, so he wanted Theodore to be mindful and careful. For all of us to be careful, but to return to London is our own choice..."

My stomach did somersaults.

If Theodore was at Quatre Pigalle, Les Gens were close by.

What if they had done something to him?

I had to tell Florence - regardless of the consequences.

"You need to know something...and I don't care how you punish me, but let me finish before you say anything..." I explained as Florence's face filled with concern. "I followed some people to Quartre Pigalle..." I started and her face lit up with anger, but I raised my hands to appease any outburst to let me finish first. "Look...long story short, when I was leaving, I heard some women saying that Theodore was there."

Florence's expression said it all - she was no longer angry at me.

"Theodore?" She laughed, awkwardly. "Theodore would never solicit a prostitute!" She groaned. "I guarantee this is that scoundrel, Viscount Cholmondeley!"

"Whoever it is..." I start as she is pacing before me. "If Theodore cannot be found, what if..." I didn't want to finish my sentence as Florence looked at me, shaking her head.

I knew Les Gens met at Quatre Pigalle and if Theodore had been there, what if they had found him?

What if that was the reason he could not be found.

"What are we going to do?" I asked and she hesitated, unsure, before walking over to the phone and calling the operator, giving them the number.

I watched her as time went by, ringing but no answer and as she hung up the call up. "No answer."

"So...where is he?"

"We need to go to the people who saw him last..." Florence explained, her hands on her hips as she looked into the crackling fire of the fireplace. "The Etonians."