Chapter 33

CHAPTER 33

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

They saw and heard everything.

The screams and the raging fire as it began and billowed.

Louis and Colin tried to get into Plumette before the fire began but it came so quickly, they were forced back from the heat.

As police called firemen and buckets of water were passed down by a line of people to douse the fire that had grown considerably, the doors of Plumette opened and ladies came running out, all half and hastily dressed.

Removing his jacket, Louis handed it to one of the girls, Colin going the same as others who had gathered (mainly on demands of Juliette), removed their jackets or grabbed blankets and sheets, wrapping the girls up and getting them away from the burning building.

Water was given to them to clear their airways as Louis noticed Paonne with Lisette and another girl. "Nous avons besoin d'aide!" Paonne cried as Juliette gasped at the injury on Lisette's shoulder.

"Oh, mon Dieu!" Juliette said as Lisette lay down and Juliette put pressure on the wound, Colin helping the other girl with a blanket and water. A doctor came over to look over Lisette and any other injured girls, urging anyone who could help to pour cold, clean water on any burns the girls may have.

Paonne banged on the front door, begging whoever was still inside to get out.

A bad feeling filled Louis as he looked at Juliette.

"Paonne!" Louis called, as she was dragged away by a fireman. "There's someone still inside?"

She nodded, tears in her eyes as she looked at him with regret. "Who is it?" Louis asked, dreading to know the answer.

"Bastien and Anne..." She replied eventually, a cup of water being given to her by Juliette, as she cleared the smoke from her lungs. "And...Adelaide."

"What?" Juliette cried as Louis watched the burning building, his heart aching while adrenaline kicked in. "Il y a encore trois personnes à l'intérieur!" The firemen got to work, working to get the fire out as the police put up a perimeter, forcing everyone back.

Colin stepped in front of Louis who was out of tune with what was happening, arms raised. "No."

"I have to help her."

"No...you are not running into a burning building!"

"I've done it before!"

"You don't need to do it again!"

"Colin! Adelaide is in there! Bastien too and Anne? She is in danger and not just from the raging fire! I cannot leave her there! I cannot...lose her!"

"You won't!" Colin cried as he forced him back. "But if you go in there, you'll be in the same position as she is!" Fear filled Colin over the worst-case scenario, but he remained strong for Louis. "We help put the fire out, that is all we can do! For their sake."

Juliette squeezed her cousin's hand and Louis reluctantly agreed.

Carriages with more officers and volunteers arrived as the fire raged, water also being thrown on neighbouring buildings which were evacuated to prevent the fire from spreading.

"Lord Nottingham!" Someone called Louis and he turned to see Theodore, Florence and Dupont, as well as Captain Benoit, approaching them, Dupont and Benoit giving orders and getting updates. "What are you doing here?"