Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

"Adelaide Woodhouse!" Benoit's voice echoed in the corridors of the Parisian police headquarters where officers were running around.

Wrapped in a towel and blanket to keep me warm but wearing spare men's clothes due to my own becoming drenched from the dive, I jumped up from my seat as Benoit marched over to me, fury in his face.

"You were warned!" He cried, his accent strong as I remained calm.

I had this.

"You were warned not to get involved as there would be consequences!"

"I can explain..." I started but he raised his hand, silencing me.

"You went against my orders!" He cried. "You endangered your life, once again and for what? You are a civilian and civilians do not get involved in these things. You could be dead, and then what?" I tried to get a word in edgeways as he berated me in front of other officers and citizens and I lost my patience.

"Captain Benoit!" I cried and he was taken aback by my fierce roar. "Look, it is not my fault that the Parisian police are so incompetent that they have let so much happen under their noses and have made no progression! You cannot take out your failings on me because I have done something." I was mad and he looked a little offended. "I know Les Gens met at Quatre Pigalle and I also know that their intended target was a man called Charles Toussaint, therefore if the man that was shot in broad light is Mr Toussaint, I am on the right path," I exclaimed and he looked at Lieutenant Dupont on his right. "Was he?"

"Yes..." Dupont admitted, Benoit, glaring at him. "But...that means you were investigating things you shouldn't have been?"

I put my hands on my hips. "Well...did you get that information?" Dupont and Benoit were silent. "No...I didn't think so."

"We tried to talk to the women at the brothels but none of them spoke up..."

"Because they were afraid," I pointed out. "When one of them did speak up, the entire brothel was set on fire by Les Gens. Three women died and you did nothing about it! Every day they live in fear because you did not help them, so forgive them if they are uncooperative but can you blame them?" Benoit and Dupont remained silent - probably not sure how to respond. "Les Gens are responsible for this and this man was willing to talk to me and wanted to until he was shot in the back by Bastien. You will..."

"You will not order us around!" Benoit replied finally and it was my turn to be taken aback. "If you get further involved in this, I will make sure you are deported out of this country, permanently."

"But..."

"Go back to your lodgings! Now! And if I see you involved in any of this, I will deal with you accordingly!"

I had to accept defeat this one time. Benoit left as Dupont hung back. "Lieutenant please..." I begged and Dupont sighed. "Please, just listen to me."

"Adelaide..." He said. "I know you mean well. You got the ladies of Quatre Pigalle to talk - Benoit cannot take that away from you."

"That sketch...did you get it?"

"Yes...but Benoit destroyed it. He did not want your help..." Dupont explained and I groaned.