Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

My head was hurting. 

I couldn’t open my eyes. 

I had been woken by knocking on the door and it felt like I hadn’t slept at all. 

It had been way before sunrise when I got back and it was daylight by the time I got up, but the light was too bright to look at.

“Adelaide?” Florence’s muffled voice came from the other side of the door and I groaned. “There’s a mass at Notre-Dame in a few hours. I know you would like to go.”

I pouted, stretching my face muscles as Florence continued. “Adelaide…please? I know I hurt your feelings and probably embarrassed you in front of the Earl but I am only looking out for you.”

I couldn’t stay mad at Florence forever. 

And yes, she did embarrass me, but I still snuck out and betrayed her so I guess we were even?

This was too much thinking in my pounding head. 

I sighed, swallowing my pride. “Alright.”

I headed into the bathroom to wash up.

I stepped out of my room to see Florence admiring a bouquet of flowers. 

“Whoa…” I said, looking at it. It was big, filled with tulips, hyacinths, limomium, olive foliage, eucalyptus and stocks. “Secret admirer?”

“No…” Florence replied. “They’re from Theodore.”

“What?” I laughed, admiring the bouquet. “Why?”

“Who knows?” Florence replied as she put the bouquet on the coffee table. 

There was an awkward silence between us and I sighed but Florence took me in her arms, and I accepted the hug. 

It was comforting and I felt calm as we pulled away. 

I had betrayed her trust - and I felt so bad. Her eyes said it all and I knew I had to tell her where I was last night. 

Before I could speak, there was a knock at the door and Florence headed for the door. 

“Lord Nottingham!” Florence smiled and I blushed at seeing Louis having seen him hours ago. “So wonderful to see you.”

“I know…you said yesterday that you will not let Adelaide out but…” Florence raised her hand to stop him but he continued anyway. “Adelaide made a mistake, we all know that. But if you keep her here against her will, she will 

Florence smiled. “I’ve been thinking about that…” She turned to me. “We are only in Paris for a few more weeks and it would not be fair for us to keep you trapped up here while we go about our days. So…” She looked at Louis and me in turn. “If you can return by 10pm…and not say a word to Theodore…” She said and my mouth fell open.

“I thought we were going to Notre-Dame…” 

Florence tilted her left and right. “It was a ruse to get you to talk to me!” She explained. “Also…my friends have arrived early.” 

I squealed, leaping into her arms and hugging her, thanking her over and over again, as I ran back into my room to pull on a jacket over my dress, my boots peeking out from the bottom as I pulled my satchel bag on, crossbody, before heading out.