Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

"Bienvenue au cabaret!" A man on the large stage in front of us called as we all cheered. "Tout d'abord, une version humoristique de l'histoire d'amour la plus célèbre du monde - Roméo et Juliette!"

The man ran off and others took their place, music playing and the scene setting.

Le Chat Noir was the most magical place - music, singing, dancing and audience participation.

It was truly one-of-a-kind.

Colin's associate got us seats right at the front where we were presented with platters of chocolates and cakes, the alcohol at free disposal to drink all night.

The entertainment was scripted onto a small pamphlet on each table, Louis translating each act for me, and currently, whispered each translation from the French show before us.

We ate salmon and vegetables, a variety of traditional French soups, including my new favourite - French onion soup. Desserts were plentiful - tarts, cakes and pastries.

This was the peak of this vacation that I would remember for years.

As the play reached the part where Romeo and Juliet met at the balcony, a man playing the role of a comical troubadour, skipped on stage with a lute and played a few notes from Greensleeves, addressing the audience.

My chair was pushed up against Louis's who I leaned on. He was holding my hands, one on the table behind us and one on the back of the chair, as he whispered the English translation of all that was being said.

"Et ici, nous avons l'exemple parfait du jeune amour. C'est beau... jusqu'à ce que ce ne soit plus le cas!"

The troubadour was gesturing to Louis and me and I blushed, hiding my face as Louis laughed.

"Et maintenant elle est timide ! Oh, tu ne ressentais pas ça quand il avait ses mains partout sur toi!"

I laughed, shaking my head as Louis translated to me as the show went on.

Once Romeo and Juliette ended (with both of them surviving and their families dying), we applauded the actors, as the announcer returned to the stage, announcing the stars of Le Chat Noir - the can-can dancers.

With fast-paced music, high-kicks and scandalous dancing, these women were phenomenal and their movements had me mesmerised.

Cheers of delight filled the room - mainly from men, as some of the dancers stepped off the stage and danced in the audience, all of us cheering at their synchronisation and perfection.

We clapped along to the kicks, as the ladies asked for volunteers to join them.

Juliette grabbed my hand and dragged me onto the stage.

Colin and Louis jumped up and cheered as the ladies got us in position and showed us a simple routine. We all stood, shoulder to shoulder, arms around each other and kicked our legs up like a chorus line, everyone cheering.

Once we were done, we bowed to the audience and I ran back to the table with Juliette, almost leaping into Louis's lap who laughed.

"You were wonderful!" Louis replied as I faced him.