Epilogue

EPILOGUE

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris, France*

*A YEAR LATER*

They waited patiently for her.

They had heard great things about her - she was stoic, powerful, ruthless and no-nonsense.

She once was Madam of the most successful bordello - Plumette. It was ravaged in a fire and she fought tooth and nail to get her money back, as failings from the police resulted in her losing her business. She fought to protect her girls - 20 of them, and she vowed to keep them all under her wing. They were hired out to other bordellos but she helped them build skills and lives outside, so they could leave and move on to other, better things. She was notoriously adored by all in Quatre Pigalle - a generous and kind soul. She fought for all the girls - any Madam or Pimp who harmed any workers - she came to teach them a lesson of respect.

She was in semi-retirement from her business ventures, now providing support from behind the scenes, rather than upfront peacocking.

It was a risk to ask - but they had to try as she was the perfect person they had in mind.

The door behind them opened and a woman in a black gown with a burgundy velvet cape, hanging off her arms entered. "Gentlemen."

"Paonne?" One of the men asked and she strolled to the back of the desk, to take her seat.

"I do not go by that name anymore...but yes..." She smiled at them, her elbows leaning on the desk. "I'm Virginie Desrosiers." 

"Madame Desrosiers..." One of the men started. "I am Charles Zidler. This is Joseph Oller."

"I know who you are..." Virginie replied. "How can I help you?"

Oller looked at Zidler, adjusting in his seat. "We've heard all about you."

"Terrible things I assume?" Virginie said her eyebrows rising as Zidler shook his head. 

"Not at all..." He assured her. "Good things. Remarkable, great things! Which is why we have come to you."

Virginie nodded. "Go on."

"Zidler and I have bought a building in Montmartre. Our plans involve creating the most spectacular show on Earth. Dance, music, plays, poetry, singing, opera and of course...the Can-Can..." Oller explained. 

"It will be the greatest party in Europe! People from far and wide will come to Paris for this!"

Virginie nodded, playing with her pearl necklace. "I see...but does this have to do with me?" 

Oller and Zidler looked at each other, smiling before turning back to her. "We want you to manage it."

Virginie sat up. "I am not in that business anymore."

"But...this is your chance to get back into it!"

"What makes you think I want to be back in it?" She questioned as the two astute men frowned at each other. 

"You ran the most successful brothel in Paris for years!"

Virginie nodded. "And then I lost it all..." She held back her tears. It still hurt thinking about the fall of her business. "The day I lost Plumette, was the day I swore I would never return to that world. The anguish and heartache was too much."