Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*France*

“To us!” The glasses of wine chinked together as Theodore, Ambrose, Charles and Rupert tucked into a feast. 

Other Etonians were present - a reunion of all that graduated the years they did themselves, here in Saint-Denis

Music, singing, drinking and eating - they indulged in card games, smoking and chess. 

Each telling the other of where they were, what they were doing. 

Yet, Theodore remained the most successful and most famous of them all. 

Every man approached him with a drink, asking him of his many cases, their own theories or the vague connections to the case. 

“The Earl of Nottingham is a reformer. A radical as they put it…” One of the men explained as they sat together before a fireplace. “He cannot be surprised that someone was out to get him! He believes in such radical change!”

Theodore raised an eyebrow. “First off, the Earl was not targeted for his reformer views and second, that was not my case.”

“So…you were outdone by a girl?” A man said, men laughing as Theodore A game of Blackjack took place before them, trading peanuts - a way the foursome had always played to avoid arguments of money.

“Well…atleast she is doing something with her life…” Theodore scanned the room. “Can’t say much for a lot of you?”

He shut the conversation down as Ambrose, Rupert and Charles snickered in the corner as they were left alone. 

“Married life…it’s…special…” A man said as he walked past, talking to another man who agreed with him. “I’m fortunate to have found someone who shares my ideals and my view on life. A best friend.”

“Most of the people in this room are married…” Charles remarked as Theodore looked at him with raised eyebrows. 

“You’re not married?” Theodore remarked as Charles shrugged his shoulders. 

“If I wanted to marry, I could. A few women would gladly leave their second-choice husbands for me…”

Ruper smirked. “Arrogant much?” 

Theodore shook his head. “I thought you said you were going to find me a woman?” Theodore remarked. “Because I’ve already met a good few merry women for you.”

“Is one of them Florence?” Charles teased as Theodore threw peanuts at him. Charles raised his eyebrows. “The man who can get women that easily but won’t marry them?” 

Theodore shrugged his shoulders. “I can ask you the same thing.”

“He doesn’t need a woman…” Rupert remarked. “Maybe just one in his bed for the night? Both of you!”

Ambrose nodded. “It could explain their uptightness…” Ambrose nudged Rupert. “They need to let loose!”

“We could head down to Quatre Pigalle?” Charles remarked. 

“Absolutely not!” Theodore replied. “I have a reputation to uphold and word travels on the continent, especially with people who are in the public eye!”

Charles rolled his eyes as Rupert and Ambrose groaned. “He really needs to loosen out!”

“I have had relations with women, thank you very much!” Theodore explained. “But this is ridiculous! Why must I prove it to you all?”