Chapter 36

CHAPTER 36

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Château de Villandry, Loire Valley*

Like the Hattons, the Delacroixs know how to throw a party.

Chateau de Villandry was a beautiful white stone estate surrounded by vineyards, Renaissance gardens, ornate mazes and a moat in the Loire Valley. The interior was gilded, golden and elegant - corridors of large mirrors and rare artwork.

I was dressed to the nines - a periwinkle dress designed by Juliette, with floral lace appliques all over the bodice, falling off the shoulder. My hair was up, held in place by an intricate silver and pearl floral headpiece as I wore simple pearl earrings, necklace and bracelet with elbow-high gloves.

I hated gloves, but according to Juliette, they completed the outfit.

Florence and I were sharing a room again - just for the night as tomorrow, we were heading to Le Havre and returning to England. We were in the west wing and overlooked the moat and gardens in a room decorated in duck egg blue, royal blue and champagne.

I was excited to get home, but sad to leave all the same.

When we arrived, the family was still setting up but I met Juliette's mother, Constance who was the spitting image of her sister, Catherine Hatton.

"I don't think I would be able to tell you apart if you were in the same room!" I joked as Constance laughed politely at my astonishment that two people who were not twins could look so alike. I also met Louis's maternal grandparents who had travelled to Villandry from their home in Normandy just for the occasion. Most of Louis's French family was here and I was introduced to everyone by Juliette or Louis himself, but my brothers always pulled me away from Louis so I didn't linger too long. Anne, Gerard, Joan, Benoit and Theodore's friends had also been invited - one final spectacular soiree before everyone went their separate ways.

Everyone mingled and drank. Things were civilised - for now. Colin was lighting up the room, charming the young, single women (and not so single) with his debonair persona, flirting shamelessly as they swooned.

"Really?" I questioned him as he came over to me after leaving some young girls giggling with delight.

"What? I give the people what they want..."

I laughed, taking his arm as he led me through to meet others in the parlour, where Louis was entertaining a few men who were questioning him on his recent archaeological discoveries and funding.

We passed glances - both of us engaged in separate conversations.

I felt like he had something to say to me - and I had something to say in return but we were never alone long enough for us to have that conversation.

Someone joined Louis in his circle and my blood ran cold.

"Why is Marguerite here?" I asked Colin with a smile, Juliette turned to see Marguerite sitting with Louis and others.

"Her father is a business partner of my father's. I made it clear she wasn't supposed to come but someone doesn't know when to quit..." She was ready to march over to her but I grabbed her arm, stopping her.

"Leave it. Don't ruin the evening..."

"Her being here is ruining my evening?" Juliette pointed out, but the look on my face made her give in. "Fine...but I will be having words with my father."