Chapter 37

CHAPTER 37

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Le Havre, Normandy*

Loud whistles and the ship's horn echoed from the harbour as people boarded the ferry for departure to England. 

"Right ahead, let's go..." Emerson called, leading us through the crowds of people to the ramp up to the deck of the ferry that would be taking us home.

A cacophony of noises all around - French and English language merging, laughter from people, crying from children as I held Louis's arm, Delacroix servants following us with a cart of our bags. 

Last night ended in the best way possible.  Louis and I confessed our love - like the princes and princesses in the fairytales I devoured when I was younger. We spent the rest of the night dancing and singing and while Theodore and Emerson had tried to keep us apart when they realised we were clinging to each other, Philippe intervened, possibly with Florence and Charlotte - all three told them to leave us be and they did. 

No one knew of our confession but I could see the looks and smiles that everyone was aware that something had happened - some secrets had to be kept.  

Florence tried to get it out of me as we lay side by side in bed last night, but I was too tired from the rush of the entire evening, falling fast asleep before the interrogation could take place. 

Breakfast had gone by smoothly with an early morning to travel the two hours to Le Havre for the ferry at 11 am. Everything was packed and we said our goodbyes to Philippe and Constance at the chateau, with Louis, Colin and Juliette offering to join us at the port for our departure. I had a bittersweet farewell with Anne who promised to stay in contact once she moved to Quebec and I promised the same, wishing her the best for everything. The same wishes were passed to Benoit, Joan and Gerard, whom I warned to take care of Anne and not let her go again, which he assured me would not happen. 

Emerson ordered a crewman to help, paying them some money as our bags were loaded onto the ship. 

"Wait for us!" Charles called from behind and we turned to see the Etonian crew following.

"Oh dear God...they're joining us?" Florence scowled as Theodore awkwardly laughed. 

"We have to get home too!" Charles protested as Ambrose nudged him to behave. 

"This is going to be a long journey..." They headed for the ramp as people started to board. 

I watched them, holding on to Louis's arm tighter. 

"I'm going to miss you!" Juliette engulfed me in a hug from the side, as Louis released me, allowing me to fully take Juliette into my arms. "You are the only person who seemed to have mellowed out Louis and for that, I am eternally grateful...as well as for everything else you have done." 

"Juliette, I'm going to miss you too!" We pulled apart, trying our best not to cry or get too emotional as I would be returning to England with puffy cheeks and red eyes.

"I'm so honoured to call you my friend..." She said and I felt warmth rise within me. 

"As am I..." I replied, the two of us hugging again. "Thank you for everything."

"Stay in touch, please!" Juliette was crying and seeing her eyes made me swell up too, as I fanned my face and she stepped aside, Louis comforting her as Colin took me into a hug.