Chapter 35

CHAPTER 35

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

I was discharged from the hospital the same day. Florence's friend opened her home for us, while she travelled to Cannes for a week so we had somewhere to stay before our return. Despite that, Theodore and Emerson kept an eye on me and prevented me from the leaving house, not even to see my friends.

Our ferry trip had to be rearranged - with much haranguing from Emerson to the maritime office - to accommodate my recovery and we would now be leaving from Le Havre to Southampton a day later than our original plan from Calais to Dover. Theodore, Florence, Emerson and Charlotte brought their things to the manor, while Theodore's friends chose to stay at Rupert's brother-in-law's home in Montmartre.

I was feeling much better from all that had happened and Florence read the papers, telling me the action that was being taken against members of Les Gens that was being reported on.

"The President is making a speech at the Elysee Palace tonight..." Florence explained as we sat at the dining table for breakfast.

"Why?" I had questioned, unable to read the French-language papers and relying on my many bilingual family members and friends to inform me of the news.

"I'd assume to give assurance that everything is alright..." Florence said as she looked at Theodore.

"Everyone knows about Les Gens now and what they tried to do..." Theodore started as Emerson scoffed, sipping his coffee.

"The French do love gossip."

Florence turned to me. "President Grevy's speech will be a way of assuring the masses that this will not happen again. Les Gens were terrorists who tried to destabilise a country that was trying to move forward and they didn't win. France should never see those dark days again."

We all agreed, clinking our cups of tea and coffee together. As we had an extra few days in France, Juliette had announced that her father was hosting a spectacular soiree at the family chateau in the Loire Valley for our final night, where we were free to stay and then arrangements for travel to Le Havre would be made.

I wanted to visit a patisserie to get some cakes and pastries for the staff and Florence's friend's family for the kindness they had shown us for accommodating us so I headed out, glad that no one tried to stop me or insisted on coming with me. I dressed in a high-neck white blouse, a white layered skirt and a red and white plaid kirtle dress with buttons on the bodice. I pulled on a white jacket with tortoiseshell buttons. My hair was pinned back and Florence had forced me to wear a hat. I stepped out of the house, the warm sun hit my face and I closed my eyes, taking it in and smiling. The air was fresh - it was strange after everything that had happened but peaceful and serene.

I knew where Delacroix was from where we were and headed there, before easily navigating my way to the patisserie I had fallen in love with outside the department store.

"Adelaide!" I turned to see Anne - dressed in a beautiful pale yellow and floral print skirt and jacket. Her hair was on her head and she wore a matching hat. Lace gloves graced her hands, a closed parasol in one and a basket in the other.

She looked like a lady and I smiled at her as she came over, hugging me.

"Anne! It is so good to see you!"