Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

"Louis?" I was breathless as my Useless Earl held me in a dip.

"Adelaide?" He was clearly just as surprised to see me.

As I stood up, I turned to the left and saw the man had gotten away, making me curse under my breath.

"Why are you running through Paris?" Louis asked as I turned to him. That night we danced on the deck, on our way to Cornwall, that was how he was now.

His hair had grown and was groomed in place and a stubble decorated his face. He was more muscular - I could tell from how tight his clothes looked (or that was the Parisian fashion for men) and he was as ever as charming and handsome as the day we said goodbye at Herstmonceux Castle.

"I was...supposed to be going somewhere and was late..." I lied, coming to him and taking his hands as he interlocked our fingers. "My useless Earl..."

"My Cornish firecracker..." He replied, kissing my knuckles. "I'm so sorry I did not come sooner. I was at the family chateau and then was called to Brittany and..."

I giggled, putting my hand to his lips. "It is alright. Your cousin, Juliette kept me entertained."

He laughed. "I hope she was not too much of a pain..."

I shook my head, smiling as he looked down at me, our faces close.

But as I closed my eyes to feel his lips against mine, reality hit me as I stood up straight, my hands coming to his chest and pushing him away. "No...wait..." I looked around. "I have to get back to Tuileries Gardens!" I took his hand and started to lead the way but he stopped me.

"What's going on?"

"Theodore...and Florence are there...waiting for me..." I explained and he nodded. "Do you know the way?" I teased and he nodded, leading me the way.

***

Arriving at the gardens, the commotion had died down, but police officers were all around, examining the crime scene.

Florence was talking to an officer when she noticed me, but she did not smile, shaking her head as she approached me.

"Adelaide Elizabeth Woodhouse!" Theodore's voice cried from the left as Louis and I let go of our joint hands.

"Look...I know you are mad..." I apologised as Theodore and Florence came to me.

"You are insane!" Theodore cried and I had never seen him shout like this.

"I got a description!" I said, trying to find something that would calm everyone down.

"You ran after a man with a gun!"

"You left that part out!" Louis gasped from behind and I scowled at him.

I sighed. "You should be glad I did because I got a good description of him!"

"What if he shot you? What if you were laying in a pool of your own blood somewhere we did not know?" Theodore shouted as I cowered away.

I got a description of him - one that would help end all of this so Theodore could enjoy his holiday.

But it clearly did not matter.

"You!" Theodore pointed to an officer who came over.

"Oui, Dr Woodhouse?"