Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Tuileries Garden, Paris*

The sun shone down as Florence, Theodore and I explored the Tuileries Gardens, having taken Theodore to the Louvre. We followed a tour guide and eventually had to drag Theodore away when he started to give his own commentary - which continued in the many different rooms and exhibitions to the point where Florence threatened to throw him off the roof if he kept it up. 

He caught the attention of many people - the great Dr. Theodore Woodhouse was here in Paris and among them - so Florence and I had to occasionally shoo swooning women and conversational men away in order for him to fully enjoy the museum experience. 

After lunch in a small bistro, we headed to the gardens and explored the many different flora on display. As Florence made notes of the different flowers, I had my satchel bag of art supplies, sat on the grass and sketched some Sweet Iris, French Hyacinth and French lavender in the flowerbeds.

Theodore sat with us, going through some papers as Florence looked at him with squinted eyes. "I know we told you to help with the case, but we are supposed to be exploring Paris today.?"

Theodore looked at her. "It's case notes. From Benoit."

"Oh..." Florence came to him as he handed her one. "Non-targeted?" She read from the sheet.

I eavesdropped on the entire conversation. "They don't believe these victims have any actual connection with whoever is doing this..." Theodore explained as Florence sat with him, going through the other papers. "But they're not being targeted for their wealth either because the man who was killed at Luxembourg Gardens was not that rich."

"So, indiscriminate?"

Theodore shrugged his shoulders as Florence gave the papers back.

"Dr Theodore Woodhouse!" A man called and we all turned, standing up slowly and brushing grass off ourselves as Theodore greeted Captain Benoit and a woman, holding his arm. "I believe it is...Florence Moore?" He said to Florence and she nodded, smiling.

"Pleasure to meet you again!" Florence chimed as I came over slowly, none of them acknowledging me just yet.

"This is my wife, Jeanne..." Benoit introduced her and she greeted us both.

"I know all about Dr. Theodore Woodhouse!" Jeanne replied. "It is an honour to meet you."

Theodore smiled thanking her. "Day off?" He asked the captain and Benoit nodded.

"Unfortunately not, but I thought I would spend some time with my wife this lunchtime as this case has me working non-stop..." Benoit said. "How are you enjoying Paris?"

"Oh...it is all so wonderful..." Florence said as Benoit finally turned to me.

"Mademoiselle Woodhouse..." He said as he tipped his hat to me, making me smile. "Or should I say...Ada Carne?"

I froze, looking at Theodore who frowned. "Captain Benoit, what are you talking about?"

"You cannot hide it from me, Dr Woodhouse. I've been in contact with the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police when I was asking for your whereabouts for your help and he told me about your little sister..."

I smiled awkwardly as I looked at my brother and Florence as he continued. "It is my duty to know who is in my city and why..."

"Captain Benoit...I can assure you..." I started. "I'm not here to cause chaos. I am here simply on holiday!"