Chapter 34

CHAPTER 34

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

A knock on the door and I looked up from my book to see Louis, standing in the doorway with a large bouquet of flowers.

"For the patient..." He said and I laughed as he entered my hospital room and I accepted the flowers, smelling them. Sunflowers, roses, snapdragons, stocks, achilleas, freesias, olive foliage and grass and green bells all tied together with a red ribbon - they smelt like a spring meadow, the nostalgia of springs in Cornwall hitting me hard.

"They are beautiful...thank you..." I kissed his cheek and put the bouquet down on the side as he sat on the bed with me.

"How's the patient?" He asked and I smiled.

"Recovering, but there is no need for this fuss!" I replied, looking out of the window to a view of Notre Dame Cathedral, right next door.

Anne and I were both taken to the hospital and put on oxygen for our own benefit, having stayed the night over and had our injuries, burns and pain attended to with medicines. I was feeling much better and while Theodore and Florence had stayed with me for most of the night, they left early to sort out things with the police, the hotel and also Emerson, who was apparently on his way back after hearing what had happened.

Anne and I were originally in the same room until she was taken by her father and mother to a separate room where she was to give another statement and also for privacy as she came clean to her parents over everything.

Louis was my first visitor and I was delighted to see him. "Last time I was in a burning building, I didn't need medical assistance."

"I was your doctor at that time, remember?" Louis reminded me and I blushed, the memory flashing in my mind. "I tended to your wounds because you refused to go to the hospital."

"For good reason..." I pointed out and he smiled. "You did a very good job."

"And I guess I will take very good care of you now..." He took my hand and squeezed it. "I did a good job the first time, but promise me one thing?"

"Anything..." I replied, our faces slowly coming together.

"This is the last time you find yourself in a burning building..." He said and I frowned, giggling.

"Not exactly something I plan on doing again but also something that I don't intentionally set out to do..."

We both laughed as Louis's forehead met mine. "I thought I lost you..."

"You never will..." I assured him, our faces caressing. "I'll make sure of it."

We laughed, our lips brushing together, until someone cleared their throat, forcing us apart.

"Florence...impeccable timing..." I said as Louis grinned, standing up from the bed as Florence entered the room.

"If you are here, that means Dr Woodhouse is here, so I'm going to leave before I get slaughtered..." Louis headed for the door. "I will return later with Juliette and Colin."

"Thank you for the flowers!" I called as he gave us a small nod, leaving us alone as Florence came and sat with me.

"I have questions...about you and him..." Florence said and I shook my head.