Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

 Florence was groaning before the fireplace, coffee in a teacup as I snickered, leaning on her arm chair she was slouched on. 

“Still positive you weren’t drunk last night?” I asked as Florence glared at me. 

“Please don’t start…” She massaged her forehead as I giggled, helping myself to my own cup of coffee. “I didn’t even drink that much!”

“Well…I couldn’t tell last night and I don’t think Louis noticed until I asked the question…”

Florence looked at me suddenly. “The Earl of Nottingham saw me drunk?” She groaned, throwing herself backwards and I laughed. 

“Louis can keep a secret…” I explained as Florence looked at me.

“What was he doing here last night?” She questioned as I sipped my coffee. 

“He was…dropping me off…” I explained. 

“And he had to come upstairs? He couldn’t leave you in the lobby?”

I pouted and looked at her. “Look…Louis and I were never alone all day. Juliette was with us as well as a friend of Louis’s, Colin Boyle, who also happens to be the Viscount Dungarvan. We went to Notre-Dame and the River Market and Louis even took us behind the scenes at the Louvre where I met another one of his friends…Marguerite Moulin…” I was tense. “We all had a wonderful time and Louis brought me home. Nothing happened!”

Florence nodded. “Who’s Marguerite Moulin?” She questioned and I frowned. 

“A friend of Louis’s?” I repeated. “Her father is a financial backer at the Louvre and they seem to both get on and share interests in archeology and history…” My voice trailed off when I realised what I was feeling. 

“Do I hear the sound of jealousy?” Florence questioned as I grumbled. “Adelaide…” Florence said as I looked at her. “Do you trust Lord Nottingham?” I nodded as Florence smiled, offering me her hand as I took it, squeezing it. “Then trust him.”

I sighed and nodded, realising I was overreacting. “A man and a woman can be friends! Like you and Theodore!”

“Of course…” Florence replied, sipping her coffee silently before she shuffled to stand up. “Get ready. We’re going back to Delacroix to pick up your dress!”

***

Paris was becoming familiar. The streets, the stalls and stores - it was all a good familiar feeling. 

As Florence and I, all dressed for the day, strolled the streets to Delacroix, we came across a familiar face. 

“Lieutenant Dupont!” Florence said, smiling at the man as he stopped before us, bowing his head respectfully. 

“Mademoiselle Moore…Mademoiselle Woodhouse…” He greeted us both. He was a handsome man - youthful but the lines on his face and the drooping of his eyes showed he had seen and experienced a lot. 

“No need for formalities…” Florence told him. “Just call me Florence.”

“And you must then call me Gerard,” He explained and Florence nodded. “Alright, Florence….” He smiled warmly at her and I raised my eyebrows.