Chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Paris*

“Theodore is missing.”

Hearing the words made it all too real. 

Before this moment, it was a possibility - a theory. 

But hearing the words from Florence herself, a hint of sadness in her voice, made me very uneasy.

“What?” I managed to say, Louis stood with me, in our suite, ready to catch me in case my legs gave way under me. “Are you sure? You said he might be making his way back to Paris.”

Florence shook her head slowly, her hands on her bodice as if she was directing her breathing. “Turns out he is not…” She looked at Ambrose. “Do you want to explain?” Her voice was harsh - Ambrose seemed frightened of her, and I knew she had already given him an earful. 

“Myself, Rupert, Charles, and Theodore travelled from place to place during this…reunion…” He explained. “The last place we were was Orleans. We had been drinking…a lot. When we all came around the following day, Theodore was not there, and the workers said they had not seen him.” Ambrose looked at me and Florence in turn. “We have no idea where he is, and we have to find him…especially if what Adler believes is correct.”

“Commissioner Adler of the Met Police?” Louis asked, and I nodded, turning to him. 

“Adler has been trying to get into contact with Theodore for a while. He believes Theodore may be in danger if this anarchy group learns he is here…” I turned back to Florence. “What are we going to do?”

You are not going to do anything…” She said, “Ambrose and I will travel to Orleans and retrace Theodore’s steps.”

“But he was seen in Paris!”

“And we will chase all leads, but the course of action is to start at the point he first went missing…” Florence explained, Ambrose nodding. “And you…Adelaide…” She sighed, and I knew words were coming that I didn’t want to listen to. “Emerson…had asked for you to go to Monaco…for your own safety.”

“What? No!” I shook my head - this was not what I was expecting, but it was still bad. “There’s still so much I want to do in Paris!”

“Adelaide…” Florence looked at me. “This is no longer about what you want to do. If these people find out you are a Woodhouse, then what will come of you?" She shook her head, ignoring my pleading eyes. "No…you are to go to Monaco for your own safety."

I turned to Louis and saw the same worry on his face. “Florence…please? I want to stay. I can stay!” I tried to find a way around it. “A police detail. You can see the Parisian police will give me police security.”

“Or…” Juliette chimed in. “My family will pay for security. Or…we will go to the family chateau in the Loire Valley.”

“And…we won’t leave her alone…” Louis said. “We’ll be with her at all times.” Florence raised her eyebrows at him. “I’m serious. There are more important things going on.”

I had to hope it was enough - that we had convinced her that I wanted to and can stay. 

She left the room, Louis’s hand coming to my shoulder as she returned with her small bag, handing me a slip of paper.