One Year Later

I'm rushing to pick up Fey from preschool, she started a couple months ago and almost every single day I'm late to get her. There's a lot going on at work and I get lost in my projects, not paying attention to the time but when I finally check the time it's later than expected and I grab my things and run out of the building.

I find a spot around the corner and hurry up the steps "Ms. Saylor, late again?" The woman at the front says every day.

"I'm sorry" is all I say sounding flustered. She buzzes me in and I walk down the hall to her classroom.

I grab her backpack and coat from her cubby and as I'm about to open the door, it swings open and a familiar face appears "Hi?" I say and it takes a second but the realization dons on him.

"Taylor? Say....Saylor" he says with that perfect smile.

"Yeah, Cassius right?" He nods.

"Is your kid in this class?"

"Yeah, my daughter Fey. Is this your son?"

"It is, his name is Jack" I smile at him.

"Hi Jack it's nice to meet you" he flashes a toothy grin and then I feel someone collide into my legs.

"Mama!" I stand and look down at Fey.

"Sweet girl, how are you?" I pick her up and kiss her cheeks.

"Hi Jack" she says and waves at him, and I notice the slight blush on his cheeks.

"Hi Feyre" Cassius gives me a look like he realizes exactly what I did.

"Would you two like to have a playdate some time?" They both nod dramatically "Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah of course, we can exchange numbers?" I smile as he hands me his phone and I don't see a ring on his finger.

I set Fey down and she talks with Jack, as I type my number in "Call or text me and we can figure something out"

"Awesome, it was nice seeing you again" he takes Jack's hand.

"You too, bye Jack" we wave them goodbye and they walk off.

I put Fey's coat on her and make sure she has all her things and then we head out. I get her all buckled in and then we pick up some Chinese take out on our way. When we get to the apartment I get her all settled in her high chair and make us each a plate of food. We both eat and I ask all about her day, she tells me about her bff Kenzie and Jack. Apparently they are good friends and she has a little crush on him.

I get her all cleaned up and bathed, then read her a bedtime story and she knocks out. I close her door and finally let out a breath. I take a hot shower and then put on pajamas and pour myself a glass of red wine. I sit on the couch and turn on re runs of Sex In The City, living my life vicariously through Carrie Bradshaw. I see my phone buzz and I check it to see a drunk message from Asher.

That's been his MO lately, partying when he doesn't have Fey and drunk texting me either cruel things or confessing his feelings. He'll apologize when he comes to pick up Fey and then a couple weeks later it'll happen again. I barely recognize him anymore and I'm surprised he remains sober to play.

After we lost the baby, I lost myself between that and dealing with Asher's cheating. I don't know what or when it was exactly, but I couldn't look at him the same anymore. I tried for a while to forgive him and get us back to where we were or to a better place, but nothing worked. The harder I tried, the more unhappy I became and he saw it. He watched me slip away and still held onto something that wasn't there.

He gave me space and moved into his own place. It became less suffocating not having him around and when he had Fey, I was able to have some me time or hangout with the girls from work. I started to focus on myself, and trying to heal from both of the losses and eventually I felt like myself again.