Chapter 9

The day started off as a usual Monday, Phil woke up early, got ready for work, dropped Joey off at school and little Chloe at her aunts. He wasn't really in the mood of going to work but he had to. The same thing kept coming into his mind that his and Dan's wedding anniversary was in a few days and Dan won't be able to be come home for it.
"Are you sure you can't come home for it?"
"I'm sorry love, you know I would if I could.."
Phil sighed looking down at the assignments on his desk that he needed to mark, he looked up at his class who were writing a test so he didn't need to teach a lesson today. He was very glad that he didn't have to either, he just wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone today, he didn't even want to be here. Its been a couple of days since he last talked to Dan when he was told that he can't come home to visit, after that Dan was too occupied so he hasn't spoken to him since then. Phil remember their wedding day perfectly, it was still one of his favorite days, another one was when they got together, he still remembers that perfectly too.

Dan had asked Phil to come watch him practice a few times which he didn't mind at all, he loved watching Dan practice. Sometimes Dan would practice without his top on, Phil wouldn't complain though, Dan was pretty fit from how active he was and how much he was into football. One day when it was quite hot and Dan was running laps topless so to cool himself off he poured water on himself. Usually Phil never felt any kind of attraction to someone but with Dan it was different he was more confident around him and seeing him at practice like that even got him a little excited. Dan looked over at him and shot him a smile, Phil grabbed his bag and put on his lap hoping Dan wouldn't see what he's done to him. He felt his cheeks turn bright pink, Dan noticed him looking all flustered and walked up to him on the benches to kiss him until his coach blew the whistle and told him to get back on the field now. "I think you're turning Lester on" one of his teammates snickered, Dan shot him a look to shut him up because he was one of those people who liked giving Phil a hard time and he was not okay with that.
One day his coach had scolded him that he doesn't seem focused and asked him why he's always missing practice. He told him that he should think over on whether or not he wants to be on the team and he has to pick between them or whatever it is that is "distracting" him. "You seem upset" Phil pointed out, he and Dan were sitting underneath a tree behind the school. "Coach is mad at me,he says I'm not focused" Dan sighed leaning back against the tree "He says I have to pick between the team and whatever it is that's distracting me" he rolled his eyes. Phil looked down "It's my fault isn't it.. You should pick your team Dan. I know how much it means to you,you've been quarterback since freshmen year." He whispered pulling the grass out. Dan grabbed his arm and gently pulled him closer to kiss him softly "I'm not doing that, I love spending time with you. Now my team need to learn how to respect that and accept it or they can find a new quarterback" he whispered pressing another soft kiss to Phil's lips. Phil repositioned himself so he was sitting between Dan's legs with his back gently pressed on his chest. "Dan, I wanted to ask you something" Phil said softly as Dan wrapped his arms around him. "You know you can ask me anything love" he whispered softly kissing Phil's ear. "What are we?" Phil asked,he wanted to ask Dan this for a few days but he was really nervous. "Well I would say we are together I mean that's what I tell people if they ask. Has anyone asked you?" He asked as he continued to leave soft kisses on his cheek and jaw. "Rachel's my only friend, she asked but I didn't know. We sneak around and make out but we never talk about what we are." He sighed moving his head back as Dan softly kissed his neck. "Well I want you to be my boyfriend that's what I see us as.." He said, Phil turned around and Dan started leaving soft kisses on his lips. "I mean do you want to be my boyfriend?" Dan asked between kisses "Yes I do" Phil smiled.

"Alright leave your tests on my desk before you head out and I'll see you all tomorrow" Phil tried his best to smile at his students as they walked out, he tried making the smile believable but it was forced. He really missed Dan right now and wished he was here, he just needed him here right now. Tears filled his eyes as he thought about him more but he blinked them away. There was a knock at the classroom he didn't bother turning around he assumed it's probably Greg again "I'm sorry I'm for the day I'm heading home" he said blankly putting the test papers in his bags. "What's wrong professor? I don't even get a hello?" A familiar voice whispered wrapping his arms around Phil. Dan. Phil turned around completely surprised pulling Dan in for a hug "You told me you couldn't make it!" He said now he was crying happy tears. "I wanted to surprise you" Dan smiled wiping his husbands tears away with his thumb "I wouldn't miss our wedding anniversary" he whispered before pressing his lips onto Phil's for a sweet love filled kiss. "You can't believe how happy I am right now" Phil said between pecks "I'm so glad you're here" he sobbed. "So am I love"