Chapter 10

"How long are you staying Dad?" Joey asked as Dan tucked him in bed. "For a week at least, don't worry that's enough time for us to spend time together and have fun" Dan smiled kissing his son's forehead. "You can come to my schools concert, I'm playing the piano" the little boy yawned "I wouldn't miss it buddy, now get some sleep you have school tomorrow" Dan whispered turning the lamp off before getting up. "I love you dad" Joey whispered drifting off to sleep. "I love you too."

Being home with his family made Dan really happy, he knows he has to work to support them but he loved having time off and he loved being able to be a dad and being able to just spend time with his kids and husband. "Put the book away you and cuddle with me you little nerd" Dan pouted tugging the book from Phil's hand. Phil laughed and gave in handing the book over to Dan then holding his arms open for him. Dan crawled over onto the bed and kissed him softly, Phil wrapped his arms around him bringing him closer. "Remember when we were teenagers, it was impossible to separate us" Dan laughed pulling away resting his head on Phil's shoulder. "You kissed me the first day we actually talked" Phil reminded him. "But you still kissed me back" Dan laughed slightly "Remember we'd sneak around and make out even after that and we didn't start dating until three weeks later or something." The story of their relationship amused everyone a lot, they were neighbors for years would see each other but assumed that the other just didn't notice him. "We got sent home for making out during an assembly as well, my mom found it really funny" Phil laughed.

A few days after the incident Dan had been trying really hard to find any excuse to be with Phil. One day there was an announcement for an assembly, Phil was actually planning on skipping it but Dan saw him walking and grabbed his hand. Phil felt his heart race when Dan intertwined their fingers, it's not that he didn't like it, he was just really shy and also that he and Dan weren't even dating so he didn't know what all this even meant. "Um.. I was just about to go to the library.." He said no shyly. "Please come to the assembly with me, I don't want to go alone I'll probably fall asleep. We can sit in the back" Dan dragged him not giving him a chance to answer or a choice. They sat at the back, Phil listened to the speaker for a bit until he felt he saw Dan leaning in closer to him, he turned his head to see and his lips were met his. He was surprised as the last time they kissed was a couple days ago but then he relaxed into the kiss and kissed him back. They pulled away to the sound of a teacher clearing her throat "Sorry.." Dan muttered to her and both boys looked towards the front. The moment she walked away Dan turned Phil's head so he was facing him and pressed his lips onto his, Phil placed his hand on Dan's cheek kissing him back passionately. People sitting in front of them looked back but neither of them cared at that moment. They pulled away for air and Dan started placing sweet and soft kisses on the corner of his mouth. "We're going to get into trouble.." Phil whispered. "I don't care" Dan muttered between pressing soft kisses on his lips "The assembly is boring anyways." They both went back to making out for half of the assembly, the passionate kissing then turned into soft pecks. "I like kissing you, it makes me feel really calm and really happy" Dan whispered between pecks. Unfortunately they were interrupted by the same teacher who this time took them outside, told them they should be respectful during assemblies and then sent them home.
"Again, I'm really really sorry Phil" Dan apologized for what was the fifth time as they walked home. "Its okay.. I wanted to go home anyways" Phil whispered going back to being shy again. "Well we're home,I'll see you around then?" Dan asked,Phil nodded and smiled back shyly, he was about to walk off into his house but was pulled back by Dan who kissed him again. "Bye." Phil's face was pink now as he entered his house. "You're home early sweetheart" his mom smiled when she spotted him. "Yeah.. Um.. I got sent home.." He mattered. "What happened?" He could feel his face turning red again "Dan and I were kissing at the back during an assembly so we got sent home.." He explained awkwardly. Luckily his mom just found the entire story really funny and teased him about it for days.

It was almost 2 am, Phil was fast asleep as he was exhausted from work while Dan would fall asleep but keep waking up. He felt himself starting to drift off to sleep until he heard crying from Chloe's room. Dan got up quickly so Phil wouldn't wake up and made his way to the crying baby's room. "Sshh its okay daddy's here" he whispered picking her up from that crib "no need to cry baby girl, I've got you." She almost instantly stopped crying which relived Dan he was frightened that maybe he'd make things worse as he was away for months. He got her bottle and started feeding her, she stared up at him with her big brown eyes. He figured getting her to sleep again will be a challenge, she was in a playful mood. "You need to sleep princess, Daddy's tired too" he said sweetly stroking her cheek, she grabbed her finger and looked up at her giggling. "Is daddy being tired funny to you?" He laughed silently gently tickling her tummy. He guessed playing and talking to her was all he could do "You're just like your brother, he kept me and your papa awake all night too" he smiled. She kept giggling and smiling at him as he talked, eventually she got tired and started drifting off to sleep "Good night gorgeous" he kissed her forehead as he put her back down in her crib.

He turned around to leave and noticed Phil smiling and standing at the door. "You should be asleep" Dan whispered wrapping his arms around Phil. "I woke up and you weren't there" he responded kissing his cheek "You're so good with her, it was so cute to watch" they intertwined their fingers as they walked back to their room. "I'm just glad she didn't freak out" Dan yawned nuzzling his face in Phil's neck starting to fall asleep. "Sleep now you need to rest too. Good night bear"
"Good night my love."