Chapter 26

"Have you talked to Dad?" Joey asked. Today was the day that Dan was supposed to come home and he was getting impatient waiting. "No I haven't, I was supposed to talk to him two days ago but he wasn't on and neither was your uncle." Phil sighed. He wasn't going to lie, he was really worried, it was really rare that Dan wouldn't answer when they're set to talk on a specific day. If he couldn't then he would at least leave Phil a message explaining the situation and that he promises they will talk soon. "Has Aunt Rachel talked to them?" Joey asked. Phil shook his head remembering that Rachel had called him asking if she had heard from James. "No she hasn't, but I'm sure something just came up and they'll be home soon." Phil said patting Joey's head. Deep down he was really worried, he couldn't help but get a really bad feeling he tried pushing it away but it didn't help.

Shorty Rachel came over, she hoped that when they do come home it would be here. "Aunty Rachel when is daddy coming home?" Chloe asked looking up at her. "I'm not sure sweety but I know he and your Uncle will be home soon." Rachel smiled trying not to sound worried but she knew that it was obvious. Chloe looked up at Rachel and pouted. "Hey Chloe don't worry your dad will be home soon." Jake smiled picking Chloe up. Jake was fifteen now and was the only person who could ever get Chloe to listen to him besides her parents. "But why does everyone look so worried?" She asked pouting. "Grown ups are like that you know." He smiled tickling her. "Come on lets go play outside that'll pass out time really quick before our Dad's come home." Phil looked over at him and mouthed thank you before Jake took her out in the backyard.

"I'm really worried Rachel, this has never happened before.." Phil whispered sitting down next to her. Rachel didn't know what to say, she was extremely worried as well. "I'm worried too Phil.. James always lets me know before he leaves.." She said burying her face in her hands. Phil's mind kept going to dark places, of all the possible explanations of why those two haven't called or written or anything. "Maybe they're trying to surprise us or something?" Rachel suggested looking up. "But then Dan wouldn't have said that he's coming home today. If he wanted to surprise us then he would've just talked to us like he normally does and would just show up one day." Phil sighed. Rachel tried calling on James' cellphone hoping that maybe he had landed in London and had phone service. He didn't answer so she left a voice message. "James if this is a joke its not funny where are you? I'm at Phil's place please call me when you get this." She looked up at Phil and shook her head. "Did Dad call yet?" Jake asked coming back inside holding Chloe and his own sister Katherine who both were fast Asleep. "Not yet sweetie.." Rachel sighed taking Katherine in her arms.

They waited for almost another hour and even called Dan's parents hoping that maybe they know what happened but even they were clueless. "They said they haven't heard from them for a few days.." Phil sighed hanging up. Now they were really worried. Moments later there was a knock at the door. "I'll get it." Jake said getting up. Phil heard a familiar voice that belonged to James and a few unfamiliar voices. "Um Mom, Uncle Phil.. Dad is here with a couple other soldiers.." Jake said, there was something about the sound of his voice that worried Phil. He turned around to see James standing there with some other people he recognized as Dan's friends. And James appeared to have been crying. A strange feeling filled Phil, he knew what this meant, he knows what happened, he's just not ready for it.