Chapter 25

Over the years Phil condition got better, Dan was allowed to make frequent visits because of it. Sometimes he thought that it's time to retire from the military and do something closer to home so he could spend more time with his family and be there for them. Being so far away from them was difficult, whenever something bad happened he felt helpless, he couldn't do anything sitting miles and miles away. So maybe it's time in a year or two to call it quits.

"So you're seriously considering it?" James asked as they both were getting ready. "I don't know, if I can find a job then yeah." Dan shrugged looking at his brother. He knew that this would be good news for James too, that it will be a push for him to do something better with his life as well without having to worry about Dan. "Well I mean that's great. I can help you look for a job if you want." He offered. "I'd like that. And you can also do something as well. You have the chance of becoming a great doctor." Dan reminded him. "I know I know, look I promise once we find something for you I'll do something with my life too." James laughed.

Later on that night Dan decided to call his family after not being able to speak to them for a little while. "Daddy!! When are you coming home." His now four year old daughter Chloe asked. "In a few weeks princess don't worry." Dan assured her. "But I miss you." She pouted. "I miss you too, we'll see each other soon I promise." Dan felt the happiest talking to his family, his kids were growing up and it was everything he wanted. He wished he was home more and could see them grow up everyday. "Chloe's birthday is next month, she wanted to ask you if you'll there." Phil asked. "I think I will, I'm going to be home for about a month anyways." Dan smiled. He wanted to tell Phil that he was planning on leaving the military after a year or two but thought he would leave it as a surprise. At this moment he wasn't even sure that if it will be in two years, it all depends on whether or not he finds a job or not. But when it happens he would want it to be a surprise.

"Dad I learned how to play more songs on the piano." Joey said when it was his turn to talk. "Really? You need to play for me when I come home." Dan said. Joey was only eleven years old but he was one of the most talented boys ever. He played the piano perfectly and his art skills were amazing. He was so great that both his dads decided to change his school and send him to an arts school that was close to where Phil taught. "For sure! And I'm working on a new painting I'm almost done I'll show you when you come home." He smiled. Dan had a bunch of drawings and paintings from him that he would often mail as well. He considered himself to be the proudest father. "I should get some sleep now, I love you. Tell your sister and Dad that too." With that he hung up and fall back onto his mattress. He stared up at the ceiling yawning after a long day. Just a few more weeks and he can see his family again.