ℂℍ38: 𝔻𝔼𝕍𝔸𝕊𝕋𝔸𝕋𝕀𝕆ℕ

{𝔹𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕒 ℙ𝕆𝕍}

     I tried everything in myself to stay calm. As Maria raised her hand the newborn army launched themselves forward, the battle had begun. I lost count of how many heads I tore off after 5 newborns at once launched themselves at me. Jasper wasn't having an easier time. The large soldier vampire male I had seen earlier was charging and fighting with Emmett and Jasper, keeping them both on their toes on his own. It didn't help that he had four other newborns helping him. He was using them like a pair of puppets to help himself so he could make an opening for an attack.

It was at the launch of Maria's charge towards Rosalie who suddenly stood in the path between myself and her attack that a scream rang out. Before Maria could rip off Rosalie's head Carlisle knocked her out Maria's grasp but that had left him in Maria's range. Carlisle's head went literally flying off. Maria had just killed Carlisle. That scream...was Esme. It felt like time and everything froze in our world for a moment. All I could think was no no no, not Carlisle please not him. As I ripped off the head of the 5th newborn I charged in rage at Maria. I ducked, swung, leaped and kicked at her. I needed to take her down. The next head that flew was the big soldiers. Emmett had arm body locked him and Peter had detached it with a kick. He had told Jasper to help me out. So many newborns lying dead on the battlefield at it is. Charlotte, our friends and the wolves were making work of them. Jasper rushed to my side and we worked together as a team. It wasn't easy but i had just managed to get a firm hold of Maria's head in a headlock after Benjamin had split open the field with a punch to the ground. Jasper kicked her fron behind. With Maria's final scream her head separated from her body.

Suddenly I went flying back. Edward had thrown me from behind. He had waited until Jasper and I were distracted to make a move. He started to fight Jasper. Jasper was having a hard time. I tried to use my shield to help Jasper thinking maybe if I just cut Jasper off from Edward's mind reading gift then he'd be able to take him down. I was pulled from behind and dragged though. I looked over and saw Felix and Demetri. Felix had a hold of my legs and was trying to pull me away from the battlefield. I heard Jasper struggling behind me. Suddenly my worst fear was being realized. Edward had gotten Jasper to the gash in the earth. Lava laid below it and it seemed Edward meant to drag Jasper to his death with him. "If I can't have her neither can you!," I heard him shout. Before Edward could make the final pull something unexpected happened. Jasper was knocked to the side and away. Edward stood in utter shock. There standing before him was Esme. Grief and pain filled her face. Emmett had came over and was helping me fight Felix off of me. Rosalie chopped off the head of Demetri from behind and then helped me up. We stood frozen as we watched Esme. She suddenly hugged Edward...and then she threw herself back dragging him with her. They fell down, down unto death. The last whispered words of her I heard, "My son look at the monster you've allowed yourself to become." Rosalie and I were devastated. Esme had given up her life to save Jasper.

All around me newborns and burning piles littered the battlefield. I rushed over to Jasper and he wrapped me in his arms. I was in utter shock. Carlisle and Esme were both gone. The newborns were few in number now. The last of them the wolves were taking care of for the most part. I looked everywhere for Alice and saw that she was safely by Charlotte and her mate Nathaniel. The Volturi had stayed this entire time in the wood lines. They had not made any move to help us. Carlisle and Esme could have been saved if they had just helped us. Slowly the Volturi came out as the last newborn was killed. Aro stood in the front. We all looked on in anger at them. "Why? You said Carlisle was a good friend to you. Why didn't you help him?! You could have saved him. You could of helped us but you didn't!" If I could of cried I would have. Emmett and Jasper looked around and Carlisle was unable to be pieced back together, his body had all ready been burned. They were both gone. The sweetest father and mother figure I could have ever wished for were gone. Aro only looked on with pity. All I heard were excuses. How this was our fight. How he had Felix and Demetri try to save me. It was all pointless. I knew he was lying. He knew we would never trust him now. He had looked on to each person on the battlefield, ignoring the wolves. In the end it didn't matter. Aro declared the battle over and the problem resolved and took his army and freaking left like everything was okay once more. I wanted to rip his head off.

There were a few deaths to speak of that day. A few wolves wouldn't be returning home. But no deaths hung so devastatingly in the air as Carlisle and Esme. Jasper wrapped his arms around me. I and Jasper had survived. After what we both had been through it was over hopefully. It's just a big important space in our lives was now gone. Jasper held me tight to him, as if he was trying to hold the pieces of myself together.

{𝔸/ℕ}

I told you all this chapter would have death and possibly the unexpected. This next chapter will be the last one. I feel like I owe you guys a box of tissues. Until then read and write on everybody.