T-W-E-N-T-Y F-O-U-R

T W E N T Y   F O U R

Agreeing to come to this support group was a terrible idea. I dreaded this day for about two weeks, and now I knew why.

The last person I planned on ever crossing paths with at a support group for grieving mothers would be the same person that made sure to hurt me precisely in a spot that would cause me fertility issues.

If I didn't think that my life was an absolute joke before, I sure did now.

"Aggs, please, you need to try and calm down. I know it's hard, but you can't keep hyperventilating. It's not good for your heart after what happened to you." Buck said, tucking some loose strands behind my ear.

It pained me to admit that he was right.

During the hospital explosion, I experienced a cardiac arrest after the injuries I obtained due to a combination of debris from the roof falling on me and inhaling too much smoke. Since that day, I've had to be careful with my heart rate because I haven't fully recovered, or so my doctors say. My dad has been breathing down his co-workers' necks, so who knows if they have been lying to me about it or not.

     That was the least of my worries right now.

I tried my best to focus on the feeling of Evan's fingers trailing down my cheek, caressing it soothingly, but the image of Chloe staring right at me from across the room was too hard to ignore.

I have never been the type of person to fear things.

I've spent most of my life as what my father loved to call it, being a rebel. Always doing things I shouldn't be doing in the first place just for the sake of adrenaline and feeling something, but when it came to Chloe and Ian, everything was different.

Just the sound of their names would make me want to curl up in a corner. No matter how much therapy I get, they would always haunt me in the worst ways possible.

"What is she even doing here?" I pressed my forehead against Evan's chest. The warmth of his body was comforting. Leaning into him, I inhaled the faint smell of his cologne and fabric softener.

"Aggs, hear me out. I understand that you two aren't supposed to be within certain feet, let alone in the same room, but this has to be a coincidence. There's no way she would've known you were coming to this."

      "Buck, I don't—"

      "I know it is tough to see a good side to her, but she did lose a baby too, Agatha. I might just be trying to look at the alternative rather than jump to conclusions."