Chapter 37

--Amaani's POV--

I blinked as I realized that tears were staining my face. I tasted the saltiness that was collecting up in my veil. The memory still haunted me like it was yesterday. The trauma was big, but not big to stay. Time heals all wounds and I was the epitome of it.

Who could've guessed the perky and bubbly Amaani Sohail was someone who lost her everything; her siblings, doting parents, extended family relatives, and her beloved home country.

No, I didn't lose anything, it was snatched from me.

I shook my head to wave those thoughts off my head and looked up to see the man staring at me. He was looking with an unreadable expression on his face as if he had read my mind and already knew what flashback I had just seen. I face-palmed myself in my head.

Well done, Amaani. You showed him your weak side.

I quickly wiped my tears away and turned to join the congregation prayer after scowling at him. It was like Jaber's loud recitation of some verses from Surah Al Noor had just filled my ears when I snapped back to reality. Then, it hit me.

He had a beautiful voice. Was there anything this guy wasn't good at?

I joined the prayer with a low Allahu Akbar. The mesmerizing words of Allah's Holy Book along with Jaber's soft and smooth recitation brought serenity to me. My heart started to flutter and I tried to make out the meaning of the verses with the little Arabic I knew.

وَلَوْلَا فَضْلُ ٱللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَتُهُۥ وَأَنَّ ٱللَّهَ رَءُوفٌۭ رَّحِيمٌۭ

"You would have suffered,˺ had it not been for Allah's grace and mercy upon you, and had Allah not been Ever Gracious, Most Merciful."

And how true Allah's word was. If Allah hadn't blessed me and Sufiyaan and all those people who escaped with His mercy and graciousness, we wouldn't have seen another day's sun. We would have died a miserable death like our people. But, Allah decided to give us another chance. Maybe to correct ourselves or to correct the people of Kazefaandria, I didn't know.

But I was certain about one thing, He had chosen me for a great purpose and until it wasn't fulfilled, I was ready to keep on trying. And even Sour Susan couldn't make me think otherwise.

The prayer ended much to my disappointment and soon after, we set off again on foot. This time, our destination was not far from us. The crunch of leaves under our feet slowly reduced as we headed to a much smoother surface, the road.

"Ms. Sohail, you're lagging. We're not going to stop for you if you get lost." the voice disturbed my chain of thoughts. I looked back, startled only to see Broad shoulders looking at me with curiosity. His gaze made me paranoid and I quickly sped up, adjusting my Hijab.

"Yep! Got it. I won't let you guys fall behind." forgetting to reply with a snarky comeback, I only rushed to Sufiyaan's side who was busy talking to Usama about the administration back at the police department. The man or should I say, temple keeper quietly walked along with them, either listening to their conversation carefully or just lost in his thoughts.