Chapter One: Father

Emily Jonhson: 

Anthony Johnson: 

"Come on! One more big push!" I urge, seeing the baby's head crowning. My blue-gloved hands hover near the soon-to-be new mother's labia.

"I can't... I'm so tired," she whispers, her head sinking back onto the pillows.

I glance at the nurse holding her left leg and then at the husband supporting her right leg. We're so close to welcoming this little miracle.

"I know you're exhausted, but you are so close to meeting your daughter. Just one more big push," I encourage, repositioning myself on the black stool.

"Come on, sweetie, you got this," her husband says, trying to motivate her.

"Okay... let's do this," she sighs.

"Alright, ready... PUSH!" I instruct.

The nurse counts down slowly. One... two... three... four... Before she reaches ten, the baby's head emerges, followed by the mucus. With the splash of the liquid, their daughter is finally here after twenty hours of labor. The room is silent except for the newborn's cries, announcing her arrival.

I hold the baby up for the parents to see. "Congratulations, it's a beautiful girl," I announce to the tearful new parents.

I hand the baby to the mother, who hugs her tightly, soothing her little cries with gentle shushing. I turn to gather the tools needed to finish the delivery, but my beeper goes off. I glance at the alert: PLEASE COME TO THE FRONT DESK.

I remove my blue gloves but keep on my blue gown just in case. Grabbing the beeper from my pink scrubs, I look at the nurse. "Are you okay if I take this? You're all set here, right?" I ask.