Chapter Fifty-four: Echoes of the Lost

The lab buzzed with a frenetic energy as Tony carefully placed each Infinity Stone into the gauntlet he'd painstakingly constructed. The room was charged with anticipation, every breath heavy with the weight of what we were about to attempt. Tony's hands moved with a precise urgency, securing the final stone before setting the gauntlet down on the nearby stand. We gathered around, eyes fixed on the shimmering array of stones, each one representing our hope for a future restored.

Rocket's voice broke the tension. "Who's gonna snap their freaking fingers?"

"I'll do it," Thor volunteered, stepping forward with a determined look in his eyes. The room erupted into protests.

"Whoa-whoa, stop, wait a sec, Thor," I interjected, stepping in front of him. "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."

Thor's frustration was palpable. "I'm sorry, but are we just going to sit around waiting for the right opportunity?"

Scott, trying to keep the mood grounded, suggested, "We should at least discuss it."

"No—no, sitting here staring at that thing is not gonna bring everybody back!" Thor's voice grew louder. "I'm the strongest Avenger. This responsibility falls upon me—it's my duty."

"It's not about that—" Tony began, but Thor cut him off, his voice rising with a mix of urgency and desperation. "It's not that—stop it! Just let me! Just let me do something good, something right!"

Tony sighed deeply, casting a sorrowful glance at Thor. "Look, it's not just the fact that the glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent," he said, his tone heavy with concern. "I'm telling you, you're in no condition."

Thor's eyes narrowed. "What do you—what do you think is coursing through my veins right now?"

"Cheez Whiz," Rhodey muttered, but Thor ignored him, pressing on with his argument. "Lightning," he reminded us, his voice firm with a mixture of pride and anguish.

Bruce stepped forward, his gaze locked on the gauntlet. "Lightning won't help you, pal. It's gotta be me," he said, his voice resolute. "You saw what those stones did to Thanos; it almost killed him. None of you could survive."

"How do we know you will?" I asked, concern lacing my voice.

Bruce took a deep breath and shrugged. "We don't," he admitted with a faint, resigned smile. "But the radiation is mostly gamma. It's like I was made for this." The team exchanged looks of worry, but Bruce addressed us all with a determined nod. "Let's do it."

Tony, accepting the inevitable, nodded slowly. "You remember—everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago and just bringing them back to now, today. Don't change anything from the last five years."

Bruce nodded. "Got it."

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., activate Barn Door Protocol," Tony instructed. The lights in the facility dimmed as the lab went into lockdown, adding a layer of foreboding to the already tense atmosphere.

I watched as Bruce reached for the gauntlet, his hand trembling. "Everybody comes home," he said with a strained tone before slipping the gauntlet onto his hand. My heart pounded as the gauntlet expanded over Bruce's green skin. He grimaced in pain as the energy surged through him.

"Take it off!" Thor shouted, but I yelled back, "No, wait!" turning to Bruce. "Bruce, are you okay?"

Bruce nodded, though his face was twisted in agony. With a final, strained effort, he raised his hand and snapped his fingers.

The gauntlet shattered with a violent burst of energy, and Bruce collapsed, fainting from the pain. Clint kicked the gauntlet away as the team rushed to Bruce's side. "Did it work?" Bruce groaned weakly.