Chapter Twenty-Two: Ultron

The tension in the workshop was palpable as I stood beside Steve, my hands frantically working on numbing medicine to tend to Maria's injured foot

The tension in the workshop was palpable as I stood beside Steve, my hands frantically working on numbing medicine to tend to Maria's injured foot. Bruce and Tony clicked away on the computers, trying to contain the chaos that had unfolded. My eyes kept darting toward Tony, trying to wrap my head around how this nightmare could've happened.

"All our work is gone," Bruce muttered, stepping away from the screen, his fingers tangling in his hair with frustration. "Ultron cleared out and used the internet as an escape hatch."

"Ultron?" Steve questioned, the name hitting him like a punch, but no one bothered to respond. He glanced at me, worry etched on his face as I finished combining the medications. My hands shook slightly as I placed the sterile tray next to Maria, my mind racing with fury as I stared at Tony.

Natasha clicked through another computer, her voice trembling with disbelief. "He's been in everything—files, surveillance. He probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

Rhodie exhaled sharply, slamming his hands against his legs in frustration. "He's in your files, he's in the internet." He rubbed his face in exhaustion. "What if he decides to access something a little more... catastrophic?"

A cold dread spread through the room as Hill's eyes widened with realization.

"Nuclear codes," Tony murmured, inching closer to us, and Maria's nod confirmed our worst fears.

Rhodie gestured emphatically. "Nuclear codes. We need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

Nat stood up abruptly, her hands pressed to her chest as the reality of the situation hit her. "Nukes?" she whispered, her voice full of disbelief, and both Tony and Rhodie gave a reluctant shrug, acknowledging the terrifying possibility. "He said he wanted us dead."

"How sweet," I muttered bitterly, finishing up with Maria's foot, my gaze burning into Tony as I bandaged the wound. Every word dripped with sarcasm and anger.

"He didn't say dead," Steve corrected gently, trying to bring some clarity. "He said extinct."

"Yeah, that's not helping," I snapped back, shoving the dirty instruments away and stepping closer to Steve, whose comforting arm around my waist did little to ease the storm brewing inside me.

Clint, who had been quietly observing, finally spoke up. "He also said he killed somebody."

Hill frowned in confusion. "But there wasn't anyone else in the building."

Tony, who had been silent until now, finally spoke up, pulling out his phone and with a flick of his wrist, displaying a 3D model of JARVIS' system. My breath caught in my throat as I saw the shattered remnants, torn apart until they were nothing but lifeless pieces.

"JARVIS?" I mumbled, my voice barely above a whisper, and Tony finally met my gaze. Anger and disbelief welled up inside me as I tugged a hand through my hair, trying to process what I was seeing. "Tony, what did you do?"