Chapter Sixty: Warm Reunion with Friends.

The warm autumn sunlight filtered through the lace curtains of the living room, casting a golden glow over the tidy home. Wanda had just finished a conversation with Agnes, whose brassy energy had filled the space moments before. But as Agnes left, the room suddenly felt too quiet, too empty. Something about today lingered on the edge of her mind, like an elusive memory she couldn't quite grasp. She was still contemplating that when a firm, familiar knock came at the door.

Wanda blinked, straightening up. Her expression reset, bracing for whatever came next. She opened the door to see two faces she knew so well—Emily and Steve Rogers. They stood there, their presence radiating warmth and familiarity. James, their son, bounded at their side, while little Sarah clung to Steve's arm, her blond curls bouncing with each step.

Emily's smile lit up the doorstep as she leaned toward Wanda. "We thought we'd swing by and make sure you weren't buried under all those boxes," she teased, a soft laugh following her words. In her hands were a couple of homemade dishes, one of them a cake with a pale blue frosting, its texture shimmering as though touched by ice—an unintentional but familiar sign of Emily's powers.

"Hope you're ready for company!" Steve added, his voice gentle and warm, resting one hand on his son's shoulder as Sarah nuzzled into the crook of his arm.

Wanda's tense shoulders relaxed at the sight of them. She couldn't help the wide smile that spread across her face. "You didn't have to bring anything!" she said, her heart swelling with gratitude, gesturing them inside with a wave.

James ran ahead into the living room, full of his usual energy, his excitement radiating through the air as he explored the space. Sarah giggled sweetly in her father's arms, her tiny hands clutching his jacket. Vision appeared from the hallway, his posture formal but softening as he spotted Steve. He gave Steve a polite nod. Though still preoccupied with trying to remember the significance of the day, Vision greeted their friends with his usual grace.

Agnes, who had taken a seat on the couch, raised an eyebrow at the new arrivals, her gaze curious. "Well, isn't this just perfect? A party already!" she quipped, clearly enjoying the spectacle.

Wanda caught Emily's eye, and in that brief moment, their unspoken understanding connected them. Both women carried the weight of extraordinary lives, though their worlds were different. Emily, with her ice abilities, and Wanda, with her magic, shared a bond deeper than most could ever understand.

Emily's expression softened as she took in the surroundings. "Wanda, everything looks amazing," she said, genuine admiration lacing her voice. "I can't believe how quickly you've turned this place into a home."

Wanda smiled, though the weight of her forgotten thoughts hung in the back of her mind. "Thank you," she murmured. "It's been... interesting."

Steve noticed the hint of uncertainty in her tone. He exchanged a brief look with Vision, then spoke. "We've got plenty of hands here if you need help with anything," he offered, his tone lighthearted, as though it were the simplest thing in the world.

Emily chuckled, playing along with the levity. "Especially when it comes to making pancakes," she added, her voice carrying a playful warmth that seemed to melt some of the lingering tension.

Wanda let out a small laugh, nodding toward the kitchen. "Pancakes it is then. I think we'll all need a big breakfast for... whatever we're celebrating today."

As Steve and Vision walked toward the kitchen, engaging in an easy conversation about work and the strangeness of domestic life, Emily stayed by Wanda's side. She leaned in closer, her voice quiet but filled with the concern of a dear friend. "Wanda, are you okay?" she asked softly.