Chapter Sixty-three: Fractured Illusions

The day dawned in Westview like any other, the sun casting a warm glow over the perfectly manicured lawns and pastel-colored homes. Everything seemed ordinary, but Emily could feel the tension simmering just beneath the surface. She stood in the living room of Wanda and Vision's house, her gaze lingering on the small crib Wanda had carefully assembled in the corner. A sense of unease knotted her stomach as she tried to focus on the scene before her, but the air felt off like the world was holding its breath.

Steve stood beside her, his arm brushing against hers, a subtle gesture of support. His presence was grounding, a reminder that they were in this together. He, too, had sensed that something wasn't right. But they played their parts, as they always did. Today, they were just visitors—close friends, neighbors, doing what neighbors do in small, peaceful towns like Westview.

Their children, Sarah and James, were playing nearby, giggling as they chased each other around the living room. Sarah, with her blond curls bouncing, squealed with delight as James tried to catch her. The innocent laughter tugged at Emily's heart, contrasting sharply with the tension she felt in the room.

The door creaked open, and Dr. Nielsen stepped inside, his stethoscope in hand and a friendly, oblivious smile on his face. He was just another character in the strange sitcom reality Wanda had woven, unaware of the fragile threads holding it all together.

"Well, well!" Dr. Nielsen said with a cheerful tone. "Let's take a look, shall we?"

Wanda was seated on the couch, her hand protectively resting on her swollen belly. She smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. Vision hovered nearby, his hands fidgeting as he tried to mask his own nervous energy.

Emily and Steve exchanged a glance. Something about the way Wanda sat there, quiet but tense, made Emily's heartache. It was more than just the impending arrival of the baby. It was the weight of everything Wanda had gone through—losing Vision, losing everything—and now trying to create a world where it all made sense again.

Dr. Nielsen placed the stethoscope on Wanda's belly, his brow furrowing in concentration. After a few moments, he pulled back with a satisfied nod.

"Yep, definitely pregnant," he announced, tucking the stethoscope into his bag with a flourish.

Wanda chuckled softly, though the sound was strained. "Well, that much we figured."

Vision, standing beside her, was less composed. "It's just taken us by surprise. It's so sudden, quite suddenly, wasn't it?" He gestured helplessly toward Wanda, his eyes darting from her to the doctor. "I mean, practically overnight. How did this happen?"

Dr. Nielsen, oblivious as ever, gave a knowing grin. "Well, you see, when a man and a woman love each other very much—"

Emily felt a pang of sympathy for Wanda as the exchange played out like something from a scripted television show. The lines were right, and the timing was perfect, but there was a disconnect. It wasn't real. It couldn't be.

Wanda and Vision laughed, though there was an edge to their voices.

"We're just... tickled pink. Or blue!" Wanda added a forced brightness in her tone.

Dr. Nielsen continued, oblivious to the undercurrents. "You're at about four months now, is that right?"

Wanda nodded, though Vision shook his head, clearly uncertain. They looked at each other, and in a strange, synchronized moment, they both nodded.

Dr. Nielsen smiled again, patting his bag. "Well, I thought as much. We let the little ladies keep tabs on their growing babies with fruit metaphors. Makes it simple for them."