Chapter Twenty-Eight: Found him!

I stood pressed against Steve on the street, just across from the chaotic scene at the UN

I stood pressed against Steve on the street, just across from the chaotic scene at the UN. Our dark clothing seemed to merge together in the dim light, the weight of the situation heavy in the air. I adjusted the rim of Steve's ball cap, which had been pushed up by the edge of his phone, and looked up at him through the dark lenses of my sunglasses.

"Yeah?"

The sound of Nat's voice broke through the tension, and I let out a small, forced smile as Steve exhaled a weary breath.

"You alright?" Steve's voice was filled with concern as he glanced down at me, his eyes searching mine.

"Ah, yeah—thanks. I got lucky," Nat's voice came through the phone, tinged with exhaustion. I turned to see her standing beside an ambulance, her gaze darting around the crowd. She folded her arms over her chest and sighed heavily. "I know how much Barnes means to you. I really do, but you need to stay home. You'll only make things worse for all of us. Keep Emily away too—James needs you both."

Steve's brow furrowed in frustration. I tightened my grip on his side, feeling the weight of the situation pressing down on us. "Are you saying you'll arrest us?" I asked quietly, my voice trembling.

"No, someone will if you interfere," Nat said, her voice firm but weary. "That's how things work now."

Confusion clouded my mind as I pulled out my phone from my jacket pocket, seeing messages from my father urging me to come home. I sighed heavily, my heart aching as I typed a response.

Take care of my son. I'll be back.

Steve shook his head, his jaw set in determination. "If he's this far gone, Nat, I should be the one to bring him in."

"Why?" Nat's question was a sharp slice through the tension.

Steve looked down at me, his eyes softening as I gave him a reassuring smile. I reached for his hand, intertwining our fingers. His lips twitched in a small, grim smile as he looked back at Nat. "Because I'm the one least likely to die trying," he said, his voice steady but filled with a quiet resolve. He turned to me, his gaze fierce with love and protectiveness. "And I'm not going anywhere without Emily."