Chapter Four: Lapis

"Steve?" I questioned, opening the door just wide enough to see who was knocking so urgently.

Before I could ask why he was there, Steve pushed the door open just wide enough to squeeze through into my room. I let him in without resistance, peeking out to ensure no one had noticed before shutting the door. Turning back, I found Steve standing there, a battle playing out across his face, though I couldn't tell what it was about.

I stepped closer, touching his hand. His blue eyes met mine, burning with intensity. I bit my lip, waiting for him to speak. Steve lifted his hand, tracing my bottom lip with his thumb until I released it from between my teeth. His hand moved up to cup my face, and I leaned into his touch, savoring the warmth.

"What have you done to me?" Steve whispered, his hand cradling my face.

"I could say the same to you. It's not every day I almost make an ice rink out of a ship," I joked, hoping to lighten the mood.

Steve let out a small laugh, his smile lighting up the room. His hand slid to the back of my neck, pulling me closer. Our lips were so close I could feel his breath on mine. I closed my eyes, ready for the kiss.

Knocking on the door snapped us both out of the moment. We untangled ourselves as another set of knocks followed, and a familiar voice called out, "Emily? Are you almost done? You're needed on the bridge."

I looked at Steve, standing in my room, and knew my father couldn't find us like this. "Yeah, almost done! A couple more minutes and I'll be out!" I called, grabbing my grey jeans and hurriedly pulling them on.

I looked over at Steve, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, watching me. His blue eyes followed my every move. I grabbed his hand, pulled him down to my level, and gave his cheek a light kiss. His face turned a shade of pink I had come to admire.

"Come on, Soldier. Looks like the show might be ready to start," I said, putting on my shoes and heading for the door. Steve, still in a daze, followed me. "It's going to look suspicious if they see us walking out together. You go first, and I'll follow," I suggested.

Steve nodded. "Yeah, you're right."

I smiled as I opened the door a little wider, letting him slip out. After waiting a few minutes, I peeked out to ensure the coast was clear before stepping into the hallway and closing the door behind me.

Back on the bridge, I found a seat at a round table off to the side. A few minutes later, Steve walked through the double doors, scanning the room until he found me. He sighed in relief before joining Coulson to check for any leads on finding the Tesseract.

As night fell, there was still no sign of the Tesseract. I walked over to a computer using satellite facial recognition to find Loki or the Tesseract. I listened in on Coulson and Steve's conversation as I monitored the screen.

"I mean, if it's not too much trouble," Agent Coulson began.

"No, no, it's fine," Steve replied, crossing his arms.

I rolled my eyes, knowing what they were discussing.

"It's a vintage set. It took me a couple of years to collect them all. Near mint, slight foxing around the edges, but—"

"Guys!" I interrupted. "We got a hit."

Agent Sitwell, monitoring the screen with me, announced, "Sixty-seven percent match. Wait, cross-match, seventy-nine percent."

Coulson leaned over Sitwell's shoulder. "Location?"

"Stuttgart, Germany. 28, Königstrasse. He's not exactly hiding," Sitwell replied.

Fury, at the center of the bridge, nodded and looked between Steve and me. "Captain. Johnson. You're up."

Steve nodded at Fury and then at me before following Coulson to retrieve his uniform.

"Emily," my father called, turning his deep brown eyes on me, filled with worry. I smiled to reassure him.

"Follow me. I want to show you your uniform."

I followed him through the hallways, nodding at agents we passed. We stopped at a black door with a hole in the middle. My father placed his thumb on a panel, and once it lit green, the door opened. Inside the dimly lit room was a worktable, sketches, and a mannequin dressed in a blue uniform.

"It's not much, but the uniform should do for now until I have more time to focus—"

"I love it," I interrupted, touching the lapis-colored material. It felt soft under my fingers.

I engulfed my father in a hug. "Thank you, for everything."

He slowly wrapped his arms around me. "I will always be here for you, till the end of time."

I let go and turned back to the uniform. "Can I try it on now?"

My father laughed. "Yes, just meet us on the bridge when you're ready."

I nodded and watched him leave. I quickly changed into the uniform, made of a soft material that hugged my curves in all the right places. The lapis color and black neck left my shoulders open, and the belt connected the top and bottom pieces.

I looked in the mirror, seeing a new woman staring back at me. The uniform fit perfectly, the fingerless gloves allowing my frozen fingers the freedom to save anyone in need. My eyes glowed with determination. I let the ice and snow flow through my veins, releasing a blast of snow that turned my father's work area into a winter wonderland.

Clenching my fists, I smiled at my reflection before heading back to the bridge.