Chapter twenty-one: Party on

Party dress --> 

"It's a party and you're on your phone?" Sam's voice was laced with amusement as he and Steve approached me on the balcony overlooking Tony's vibrant party below

I smirked, glancing up from my phone. "Some of us have day jobs," I retorted with a playful tilt of my head, causing Sam to chuckle. "Not everyone can just gallivant across the country—though I suppose this was more of a pleasure call." I turned to Steve with a teasing grin. "Peggy says hi."

Steve's eyes lit up at the mention of Peggy. "Hi back," he responded, his smile widening.

"Told her you'd say that," I said, and Sam chuckled as he pulled me into a warm, friendly hug. As we parted, I beamed up at him. "How's it going, Sam?"

"I'm alright," Sam replied, his tone light, though his eyes were curious. "But it sounds like you and the captain had quite the skirmish recently."

I glanced at Steve, who was leaning casually against the railing, a faint smile playing on his lips.

"Oh, is he a little butt hurt about the Strucker raid?" I teased, making Steve chuckle while Sam scoffed, holding his hands up in mock surrender.

"I'm just saying it sounds like one hell of a fight, and I'm sorry I missed it," Sam admitted, and I laughed as I moved to lean against the railing beside Steve.

Steve sighed, shaking his head. "If I'd known it was going to be a firefight, I definitely would've called you." He nudged my shoulder playfully. "Maybe you could've stopped this one from falling out of a tree."

Sam's eyes widened in surprise, and he bit back a laugh as he looked between us. My head tilted in curiosity. "Something funny, Sam?"

"No—no," he chuckled, shaking his head and looking at Steve, who was now grinning at his shoes. "In all honesty, I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm perfectly content chasing cold leads on our missing person's case. Avenging is your world, and your world is insane."

I glanced down at the party floor where Tony was taking another shot as my father scolded him. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

Steve nodded in agreement. "Be it ever so humble."

"Have you found a place in Brooklyn yet?" I asked, leaning into the conversation.

Steve shook his head. "I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn."

"Well, home is home, you know?" Sam said thoughtfully, and Steve nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, home is home," Steve mumbled, then looked back at me as my phone flashed with a new notification. "Something wrong?"

I clicked out of a message, explaining, "Starting a practice has never been easy. I had Lori come over from my first hospital, but instead of her old role, I had her step into more of a management position since we moved back here." I glanced at the new message. "She just finished her first meeting with the king of Wakanda and wants to debrief me."