Chapter Nine: Battle of New York

We flew in silence, and I sat patiently, clutching the snowflake pendant against my skin, twisting it anxiously as we neared the tower. A breath of shock left my lungs as I gazed at the great beam of energy shooting up into the sky above the city, opening a wormhole for the Chitauri. I stood from my seat and made my way behind Natasha as Clint began circling the tower, where Thor was battling his brother. My eyes averted slightly from the sibling fight, recalling memories of my own brother. I let out a shaky breath as the jet's gun unloaded on the invading enemy. A small yelp escaped my lips when the plane was struck, sending me backward into Steve's hard chest. One of his arms gripped the railing above us tightly while the other wrapped around my waist to keep us from falling. I let out a breath and looked up at Steve, smiling before quickly moving to the front of the falling jet. Holding my hands out, I pushed ice and snow forward, creating a mountain that softened the jet's landing. I let out a puff of air as the jet settled in the snow and looked over to Steve as I walked past him. "Thanks for catching me back there." I muttered, and Steve nodded as the jet's door opened.

The four of us made our way into the chaotic streets. My eyes flickered across the scrambling people as I ran beside Natasha and Steve, coming to a sudden halt. I looked up at the wormhole, letting out a breath of shock as a swarm of Chitauri and a great mechanical monster flew across the city. "Oh hell," I mumbled, watching the Chitauri cling to the sides of buildings.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Steve asked, and I smiled at the sound of Tony's voice echoing through the speaker in my ear.

"Seeing, still working on believing," Tony admitted. "Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?" Steve questioned.

"Just keep me posted," Tony ordered before adding, "Frostbite, the suit looks nice on you."

I smiled genuinely and glanced up at the sky as Iron Man flashed overhead. "Thanks!"

"You're welcome," Tony replied, his smile evident in his voice as the four of us ducked behind a collection of cars to avoid open fire from above.

"We've got civilians," I said, looking over to Steve. He nodded at me, checking over the hood and down the street to see the scattered civilians.

"They're fish in a barrel down there."

I crouched beside Steve, watching as invaders closed in on the civilians. With determination, I quickly stood up and shot a beam of ice at the incoming invaders, freezing them solid and causing them to fall to the ground. I ducked back down as I was targeted and shot at. Natasha looked over at Steve and me. "We've got this. Go."

Steve turned to Clint. "You think you can hold them off?"

"Captain," Clint clicked his bow into place, "it would be my genuine pleasure."

I glanced over at Steve before nodding. Together we jumped up and ran forward. I watched as Steve flung himself over the bridge railing, disappearing into the collection of cars and people. I ran forward, shooting a beam of ice in front of me. The ice clung to the railing, creating a cascade of ice down to the busy street. Jumping over the railing, I placed my feet on the ice and slid down the path, glancing back to see the railing blown to bits. Turning my head back, I landed on the street and took off running.

Ducking behind overturned cars, I let out a puff of air before letting my fingers run against the pavement. Slowly, I let the cold pulse through my veins, and the familiar twist of mist curled from my fingertips. Glancing up at the twisted rearview mirror in front of me, I saw the collection of Chitauri shooting at the running civilians. With a grin, I pushed the mist forward. I watched as it crawled up the soldiers' legs. With a grunt, I pushed the mist further, sending the Chitauri stumbling as it turned to ice, smashing them into the ground and freezing them into sculptures. I lunged from my hiding spot, ducking under beams of light, and flicked my hands in various directions, shooting frost and ice at the Chitauri. The mist froze soldiers in their spots as I dodged armed fists and studied the signature of their weapons.