Chapter Twenty: Two years later

Uniform^

Uniform^

I gripped the rough bark of the tree as I surveyed the HYDRA base in Sokovia from my perch high above

I gripped the rough bark of the tree as I surveyed the HYDRA base in Sokovia from my perch high above. Snowflakes danced around me, whipped into a frenzy by the intensifying storm I'd conjured. The swirling blue mist that coiled around my fingers was both a shield and a weapon, tempered by the updates Tony had made to my snowflake pendant. Thanks to Bruce's help, the pendant now absorbed excess snow and ice energy, preventing any rogue storms from disrupting our mission. My silver bracelets, another of Tony's innovations, controlled the mist with precision, allowing me to focus my icy attacks effortlessly.

Looking down at the building layers of snow blanketing the base, I decided it was time to scale back the snowfall. With a flick of my wrist, I halted the flurry, creating a perfect shroud of white for the team. The quiet was shattered by Tony's anguished groan and the sound of his repulsors firing off-course. My eyes darted toward him, barely able to stifle a laugh as he collided with the base's energy shield, his trajectory sending him spinning through the air.

"Shit!" Tony's curse echoed over the comms, and I couldn't help but burst into laughter. Before I could tease him, Steve's stern voice crackled through my earpiece.

"Language!" he barked, and I doubled over, clutching the branch as I laughed uncontrollably. Steve's disapproval only made my amusement worse.

I glanced around the forest and spotted Steve speeding through the trees on his motorcycle, his figure a blur of motion. "Jarvis, give me the rundown on the central building!" I said, struggling to regain my composure.

"The central building is protected by a powerful energy shield," Jarvis reported. I squinted, sensing a disturbance. There was something hidden beneath the cloak of energy—something I couldn't yet identify.

"Strucker's up to something," I warned. "But it's cloaked. I can't see through it."

"Anything you can do?" Nat's voice inquired, and I sighed before extending my hands. I concentrated, sending a wave of ice toward the shield. With a grunt of effort, I unleashed the frosty barrage, only for it to bounce back with a jarring force, sending me tumbling through the branches. I crashed into the snow below with a soft thud, only to be greeted by a ring of stunned Strucker soldiers.