Chapter Three: The Gang

As Steve, Coulson, and I stepped onto the helicarrier, a sense of familiarity washed over me. Watching the soldiers hustle about brought back memories of my childhood, a time when this chaotic energy was my norm. It felt like home, and I couldn't deny that a part of me had missed it, even if just a little.

As we descended the ramp, we were greeted by one of S.H.I.E.L.D's most renowned agents.

Coulson glanced over at Natasha Romanoff and introduced us. "Agent Romanoff, this is Captain Rogers and Doctor Emily Johnson."

Steve looked at Natasha, nodding slightly. "Ma'am?" he said, though it sounded more like a question than a greeting. I stifled a laugh with a forced cough. Natasha turned her sharp gaze on me, sizing me up like her next target. I met her eyes and gave a small wave. "Hello, Agent," I said, regaining my composure.

Natasha rolled her eyes and replied curtly, "Hi."

I exchanged a glance with Steve, who gave me a small smile and a shake of his head.

Agent Romanoff turned her attention back to Coulson. "They need you on the bridge. They're starting the face trace."

Coulson gave us a final look before heading off. "See you there."

As Coulson walked away, it left Steve, Natasha, and me to walk together. Agent Romanoff headed towards the railing of the helicarrier, signaling for us to follow. As Steve and I trailed behind, I felt the lightest touch on the small of my back, guiding me forward. The subtle gesture made my face heat up, and I began to feel a cold sensation at my fingertips. I glanced down to see my fingertips turning the lightest blue, with small snowflakes forming. Panicked, I swatted at my hands, trying to dispel the ice. Steve noticed my flustered movements and whispered, "Are you okay?" He was so close that I could smell the leather of his jacket and the scent of vanilla mixed with earthy forest. I took a shaky breath, nodded, and stuffed my hands in my jacket pockets to conceal the cold.

Natasha, seemingly oblivious, continued. "There was quite the buzz around here finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was going to swoon. Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?"

Steve looked at her, confused. "Trading cards?"

I suppressed another laugh, remembering my earlier near-miss with laughter around Natasha.

"They're vintage. He's very proud."

As we continued, we noticed a man with peppered grey hair walking around, looking somewhat lost. I studied his face and my eyes widened in recognition.

"Dr. Banner!" Steve called out.

Dr. Banner turned towards us and approached. Steve removed his hand from my back to shake Dr. Banner's hand.

"Oh, hi. They told me you both would be here," he said, signaling to me and Steve.

I smiled and nodded, extending my hand. Dr. Banner hastily shook it, then returned my handshake with a nervous smile. Steve returned his hand to my back, and the cold sensation returned to my fingertips. I quickly shoved my hand back into my pocket, earning a questioning look from Dr. Banner. I met his eyes, silently pleading for him not to say anything. Steve, oblivious, continued talking.

"Word is you can find the cube," Steve said.

"Is that the only word on me?" Dr. Banner asked, looking nervously between us.

I placed a reassuring hand on Dr. Banner's arm. "It's the only word we care about here," I told him, then released his arm.

Dr. Banner exhaled and looked around at the bustling soldiers. "It must be strange for you, all of this," he said to Steve.