Chapter 10: Goodbyes

I stepped out of the black Ford Fusion that I had rented while I was in New York, parking beside Tony's car in the middle of Central Park. The entire team was there, waiting with Loki in chains and Thor holding tight to his arm. As I approached, I caught the eye of the super-soldier, Steve Rogers. I sent him a small smile, glancing down at my white Converse and black jeans before walking over to him. I motioned to the bike he had with him.

"Nice ride. Didn't know grandpas could drive a motorcycle," I teased.

Steve looked down at me and chuckled. "Hey, respect your elders."

I let a small laugh escape my lips. "Your ride isn't so bad either," he said, motioning to my rental.

"Yeah, well, it gets me from place to place," I whispered, causing Steve to grin before we turned our attention to Thor. We watched as he took hold of the case that Tony offered him, the Tesseract carefully locked inside. Dr. Selvig carefully transported the Tesseract into the glass device before passing it back to Thor, who held one side while Loki held the other. Thor smiled at us all, glancing over each of us before nodding.

"My friends, I am sure this will not be the last time we meet," he said.

I looked over at him and smiled at his statement. "Nor the last time we fight with one another," he added. I let out a laugh and rolled my eyes.

"Wait!" I called out, taking my hands out of my jacket and walking to the God, who looked at me in wonder. I began to wave my hand in a swirling motion, creating a ball of crystal-clear ice. I held the ball in my hand and held it up to Thor. "If you ever need us, you can use this to get in touch with us," I said as I handed it to him. He took it and smiled as I stepped back to stand with Steve.

The god turned back to his brother, nodded, and together they clicked their handles into place. I watched in amazement as the two disappeared in a flash of light, leaving the team standing in the park.

Tony was the first to speak. "Well, now that that is done," he said, turning to me. "Are you staying here in New York?"

Everyone turned to look at me now. I glared at Tony as he smirked at me, knowing what he did. I looked around the group, noticing the curious eyes of everyone, especially a certain soldier.

"Tony, I'm only three hours by car. But if you must know, I took a contracted job," I told them.

"Perfect, I'll set up arrangements..." Tony started, turning to walk back. I looked at him and then up at Steve.

"It's not here. It's in Washington, D.C.," I told everyone.

The super-soldier's smile grew, though he tried his best to hide it.

"Wait, what, Emily! We talked..." Tony began to struggle.

I laughed as I watched Tony's frustration. He looked between me and Steve, finally understanding.

"Okay, alright, just watch out for her," Tony said.

"Will do," Steve nodded.

Tony nodded before heading towards Clint and Nat, both of them sending him a smile. Before they knew it, the two were driving away. Bruce and Tony walked towards the car, but before they drove off, Tony turned and walked towards Steve, holding out a hand.

"Captain," Tony said.

Steve smiled and shook Tony's hand. "Stark."

Tony nodded at me and glanced over at Steve. "Don't be a stranger."

I scoffed and went over to hug Tony. "I'll be back. Someone has to keep you out of trouble."

I waved to both of them until I couldn't see the car any longer, then looked towards Steve. "So, what now?"

Steve looked at me longingly and began to walk over to me. As he got closer, my phone started to ring. I pulled it out from my jacket pocket and looked at the caller ID, rolling my eyes and earning a laugh from Steve.

"Yes, Dad?" I said into the phone.

"Are you guys on your way yet? We have a lot to go over," my father said on the other line.

"Yes, we're leaving now," I said, as my father hung up.

I looked over at Steve, who had a glimmer in his blue eyes as he hopped on his motorcycle. "You ready?" he asked.

I walked over to my Ford and called out, "Of course. Lead the way, and I'll follow you anywhere."