Chapter Forty-three: Packing Ghosts

The gray, overcast sky mirrored the heaviness in my heart as I stood on the front porch of our home. It had been eight months since the Snap—since Emily, James, and Sarah had been ripped from my life. Eight months of pretending I was okay, of throwing myself into missions, of trying to forget the unbearable emptiness that had settled into my chest. But I couldn't avoid it anymore. I had to go back. I had to face the house, face the memories, and do what needed to be done.

The door creaked open, and the familiar scent of our home hit me. It was the smell of Emily's favorite candles, the faint scent of the kids' shampoo, and the warmth that had always been a part of this place. But now, it felt different—hollow, like all the life had been drained from it. The silence was deafening, broken only by the echo of my footsteps on the hardwood floor.

I stood in the living room, taking in the sight of the space where we had spent so much time together. The couch where Emily and I would sit, watching the kids play, was covered in a layer of dust. The kitchen table, where we had shared countless meals, was cluttered with unopened mail and forgotten papers. It was like the house had frozen in time the moment they were taken from me.

I hesitated at the doorway to our bedroom, my hand trembling as I reached for the handle. I hadn't been in here since that last morning, before everything went to hell. The door creaked open, and I stepped inside, the air thick with the scent of Emily's perfume. The bed was still made, her clothes still hanging in the closet, her jewelry scattered on the dresser. It was like she had just stepped out, like she could walk back in at any moment.

But she wouldn't. None of them would.

I moved through the room, packing up her clothes, her belongings, each item feeling like a betrayal. How could I put her away like this? How could I pack up the pieces of her life and hide them away in a storage unit? It felt like I was erasing her, erasing them, like they had never existed.

I found a box in the back of the closet, one that Emily had used to store old family photos and keepsakes. I opened it, expecting to see the familiar pictures and mementos, but instead, I found a letter, folded neatly and tucked away beneath the photos. My heart skipped a beat as I picked it up, recognizing Emily's handwriting on the envelope. It was addressed to me.

I unfolded the letter with trembling hands, the paper crinkling softly in the quiet room. The words were written in her neat, careful script, and as I began to read, my breath caught in my throat.

Steve,

If you're reading this, then something has happened. I don't know how or when, but I've had this feeling for a while now—like a shadow hanging over us, waiting to fall. I didn't want to worry you, and maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I needed to write this down, just in case.

I know you, Steve. I know how you carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, how you blame yourself for things that aren't your fault. And I know that if something happens, you'll try to put on a brave face, to keep going, because that's who you are. But I need you to listen to me now.

You're going to feel like the world has ended, like you've lost everything. And I won't lie to you—it's going to be hard. So hard. But I need you to hold on, Steve. I need you to remember that there's always hope, even when it feels like there's none left. You've been through so much, you've lost so much, but you've always found a way to keep going. This time will be no different.

There will come a time when you'll have to make a choice—a choice that will shape the future. I can't tell you what it is, but I need you to trust yourself. Trust that you'll make the right decision, that you'll know what to do when the time comes. And no matter what happens, know that I love you. I've always loved you, and I always will.

Our family, our love, it's stronger than anything. Stronger than time, stronger than fate. It will never truly leave you, Steve. We'll always be a part of you, just as you're a part of us. So when the darkness feels overwhelming, when you feel like you can't go on, remember that. Remember us.

I wish I could be there to hold your hand, to face whatever's coming together. But if I'm not, I need you to promise me something. Promise me you'll keep fighting, keep living, even when it feels impossible. Because you're not just fighting for yourself—you're fighting for all of us.

And Steve... if you ever find yourself at a crossroads, wondering which path to take, follow your heart. It's never led you astray before, and it won't now. Trust in that, and trust in the love we shared. It will guide you, no matter how lost you feel.

I love you. Always and forever.

Emily

I stared at the letter, tears blurring the words as I read it over and over, trying to make sense of it. Emily had known. Somehow, she had known that something was coming, that our world was about to be turned upside down. And she had tried to prepare me for it, tried to give me the strength to keep going.

But how could I? How could I keep fighting when the people I was fighting for were gone? How could I make any choice, take any path, when the future I had dreamed of was gone?

I folded the letter carefully, placing it back in the box, my hands shaking. The anger that had been simmering beneath the surface for months began to boil over, a rage so fierce it threatened to consume me. Emily had known, but I hadn't been able to stop it. I hadn't been able to save them.

I moved through the house like a man possessed, packing up the kids' room, the toys, the clothes, the books, each item fueling the fire inside me. Their laughter, their smiles, the warmth of their little hands in mine—it was all gone. And it was my fault. I was supposed to protect them, to keep them safe, and I had failed.

By the time I finished, the house was stripped of everything that had made it a home. It was just a shell now, empty and cold, just like me. I carried the boxes out to the garage, stacking them neatly in the corner, my breath coming in ragged gasps as I tried to hold back the storm inside me.

I stood there, staring at the boxes, at the remnants of the life I had lost, and I felt something break. I let out a roar of anger, of grief, of pain so deep it felt like it would tear me apart. I punched the wall, the wood splintering under my fist, but the pain was nothing compared to the agony in my chest.

They were gone. Emily, James, Sarah—they were gone, and there was nothing I could do to bring them back. The letter was a cruel reminder of what I had lost, of the future that would never be.

I sank to the floor, my head in my hands, the tears coming fast and hard now. I had lost everything, and no matter how many missions I went on, no matter how many battles I fought, it wouldn't change that. I was just... tired. Tired of fighting, tired of pretending, tired of a world that had taken everything from me.

But as I sat there, broken and defeated, Emily's words echoed in my mind. Follow your heart. It was all I had left, the only thing that could guide me through the darkness. I didn't know what the future held, didn't know if I had the strength to face it, but I knew one thing.

I couldn't give up. Not yet.

I stood up, wiping my eyes, and took one last look at the house. It was empty now, just like me, but maybe—just maybe—I could find a way to fill it again. For Emily. For James. For Sarah.

And for me.