Chapter Fourteen: To the mall!

I let out a shaky breath as I walked through the mall, my head hung low, feeling awkward in my baggy jeans, oversized sweatshirt, and tennis shoes. "I feel like a high school wannabe rapper," I muttered, a small laugh escaping Natasha's lips from where she walked on the other side of Steve, who was scanning the crowd with quick, deliberate glances.

"You look cute," Natasha said, her smirk widening as Steve's gaze flickered over my outfit, his eyes lingering just a moment too long. I caught her gaze and let out a sharp laugh, waving my arms to emphasize how the sleeves hung off me.

"Yeah, so cute," I rolled my eyes, trying to hide my flushed cheeks.

As we approached the Apple store, I grumbled, "Just don't make me run. That'll give me elementary flashbacks, and trust me, you really don't want to deal with that."

Natasha shook her head, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "First rule of going on the run: don't run, walk."

Steve scoffed, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off."

A giggle escaped my lips despite my attempts to stay serious. I glanced up at Steve, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks as he gave me a small, almost imperceptible smile. I quickly looked away, focusing on the tech displays around us, but Steve's hand on my back sent a shiver through me, the warmth of his touch contrasting sharply with the coolness of my fingers.

Natasha stopped at one of the computers and slid the drive into place. "The drive has a level six honing program. Once we boot up, SHIELD will know exactly where we are."

"How much time do we have?" Steve asked, his voice low and urgent as I shifted my weight uneasily, trying to ignore the way Steve's hand brushed softly up and down my back, sending jolts of electricity through me.

"Nine minutes from now," Natasha replied, her eyes locked on the screen as the computer booted up. I stiffened, my hands growing colder with the growing tension.

Fury's voice echoed in my mind, but Natasha's mumble pulled me back to the present. "Fury was right about the ship. Someone's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI. It keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."

"Can you override it?" Steve asked, his brow furrowed in concentration.

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me—slightly," Natasha replied, her focus intense as she worked.

At that moment, an Apple store employee approached. "Can I help you guys with anything?" His voice startled me, and I stumbled back into Steve, who steadied me with a firm grip on my arms. Natasha's demeanor shifted instantly; a bright smile spread across her face as she tossed her hair over her shoulder.

"Oh, I'm just helping my best friend talk this big lug into a better honeymoon destination," Natasha said, her voice dripping with playful charm.

Steve blushed, leaning closer as he glanced at the screen. "That's right. We're getting married."

I placed a hand on Steve's chest, my cheeks burning. "Yes, the luckiest woman in the world," I said, trying to keep my voice steady as my face flushed red.

The employee's gaze shifted between Steve and me. "Congratulations! Where are you guys thinking of going?"

Steve leaned over me, his breath warm against my neck. "New Jersey," he said, and I shot him a questioning look, but he simply nodded.

The employee seemed skeptical but offered a small smile. "I have the exact same glasses!" he exclaimed.

I burst into stifled laughter, hiding my face in Steve's chest as he looked down at me with an amused glint in his eye. For a moment, we were lost in each other's gaze, the warmth of his body against mine causing my heart to race. Natasha's smirk grew as she continued to work, seemingly oblivious to the intimacy unfolding between us.