Chapter Thirty-four: Missing

Sarah Maria Rogers darted around our cozy cottage in the English countryside, her tiny hands tracing the wooden walls as she giggled joyfully. Her little feet pattered across the floor, her blond curls bouncing with every unsteady step. I followed her, my heart swelling with love as she played, and behind her, Auntie Nat trailed with a laugh that matched Sarah's exuberant laughter.

As Sarah entered the kitchen, her feet slipped on the cool linoleum, and she tumbled to the ground. She didn't let the fall bother her; with determination, she sprang back up and waddled toward me, her tiny hands reaching for my legs. I scooped her up, her laughter ringing in my ears as she pressed her lips against my skin.

"Is Auntie Nat chasing you again?" I asked, smiling at her as she buried her face into my neck, her blue eyes twinkling with mischief. I glanced over at Nat, who leaned against the doorway with a grin, holding James in her arms.

"She got away from you," I teased Nat, who shrugged with a chuckle.

"She's fast," Nat said, heading to the fridge for a drink. I watched Sarah as she twirled a strand of my hair, trying to mimic the curls, her little face focused and determined. When it didn't quite work, she just picked another strand and tried again.

"And she's sneaky too," Nat added with a laugh. "I'm convinced she made a puddle just to trick me."

"Or it's just part of the potty-training process," I said, playfully bumping Sarah's nose. She giggled and clapped her hands.

"She's definitely her daddy's daughter," I murmured, running my fingers through her soft hair. At the mention of 'daddy,' Sarah's head popped up, her eyes lighting up.

"Can we go see Daddy?" she asked with an eager smile.

I looked over at Nat. "Is Steve still in the garden?"

Nat nodded, a playful smile on her lips. "Once a city boy, always a city boy," she said, shaking her head as she sipped her drink. "But that's not going to stop him from trying."

As Nat pulled out her phone, her brow furrowed in concern. "Is something wrong?" I asked, my smile fading slightly.

Nat sighed. "I'll find out," she replied, heading toward the back door. "Wanda?" I guessed, lifting Sarah onto my hip and holding James's hand.

Nat nodded, confirming my suspicion. "Yeah," she said as she put James down. "I'll come find you four."

I nodded, looking down at my children's beaming faces. "Auntie Nat's getting ready to pitch a fit," I teased, tickling Sarah's tummy and causing her to burst into laughter.

Carrying Sarah outside and holding James's hand, I breathed in the fresh air, glancing back at our ivy-covered brick cottage. I set Sarah down on the grass and watched with a heart full of love as she and James ran toward the garden. My laughter caught Steve's attention, and he turned to see us, a wide smile spreading across his face.

Dressed comfortably in jeans and a rolled-up shirt, Steve stepped out from the garden bed. As Sarah and James dashed toward him, he bent down, scooping them into his arms. His deep chuckle mixed with their laughter as he whispered to them, then looked up at me with a smile.

"You will not be defeated," I teased, playfully wiggling my fingers to let a gentle snow fall on the wilted plants behind him.

Steve snorted, lifting Sarah and James higher on his hip. "I will not be defeated," he said, nibbling at Sarah's hand with mock seriousness.

"Oh, come on, Brooklyn," I teased, smoothing James's curls. "You could do this all day—and you have, for the past three weeks."

Steve shook his head, glancing back at the garden. "If Peggy could do it..."