Chapter Forty-One: The Dispair

I stood alone in the dimly lit bathroom at the Avengers headquarters, staring at the man in the mirror. The sink beneath my hands was cold, the metal unyielding as I gripped it, trying to anchor myself to something solid. My face was almost clean-shaven now, the remnants of my beard washed away like the last traces of who I used to be.

The battle was over—at least the physical one. We had fought with everything we had, but it hadn't been enough. Thanos, Jonathan... they had taken everything from me. From all of us. The faces of my team, my friends, flashed through my mind, but it was Emily and our children that I couldn't shake. Their loss was a wound that wouldn't stop bleeding, a hollow ache that seemed to consume every part of me.

I dragged the razor across my skin, the familiar motion offering no comfort, only a brief distraction from the emptiness that had settled in my chest. Every stroke was a reminder that I was still here, still breathing, while they were gone. I rinsed the blade under the tap, watching the water swirl down the drain, wishing it could take the pain with it.

But it couldn't. Nothing could.

I looked back up at the mirror, meeting my own eyes, and for the first time in a long while, I didn't recognize the man staring back at me. He looked like a stranger—older, weary, his eyes carrying the weight of too many losses. The kind of weight that no amount of super-soldier serum could ever lift.

The headquarters was quiet, a far cry from the chaos of the battle that had just ended. It felt like the entire world had gone silent, as if it was holding its breath, waiting for something, anything, to happen. But nothing did. It was just me, alone in this empty shell of a building that used to feel like home.

I splashed cold water on my face, the shock of it barely registering as I tried to shake off the numbness that had settled over me. The fight with Thanos and Jonathan had taken more than just lives—it had stripped away the last remnants of hope I'd been clinging to. I'd always been the one to rally the team, to find the light even in the darkest of times. But now, I wasn't sure there was any light left to find.

The fight had been brutal. Thanos, with his cold, calculating ruthlessness, and Jonathan... Jonathan had been something else entirely. He was twisted, malevolent, his eyes burning with a darkness that went far beyond anything I'd ever faced. The way he'd taunted me, used our father and Tony's survival as weapons against me—it had cut deeper than any blade.

And now, here I was, standing in the aftermath of it all, trying to piece together the shattered fragments of my life.

The team was still out there, scattered, broken, trying to regroup and make sense of what had happened. I knew I should be with them, should be leading them, but I couldn't bring myself to leave this room. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

The truth was, I didn't know how to move forward from this. Not without Emily, not without our children. The thought of facing the world without them felt impossible, like trying to breathe with a crushing weight on my chest.

I looked at my reflection one last time, at the man who was supposed to be Captain America, and all I saw was someone who had failed—failed to protect the people he loved, failed to stop the unimaginable from happening. The battle might be over, but the war inside me had only just begun.

And I wasn't sure I had the strength to fight it.

.

.

.

.

The night had swallowed everything in its unyielding darkness as the massive alien ship descended, its landing gears creaking under the immense weight. Captain Marvel, her eyes locked with fierce concentration, guided the craft down with an eerie calm. When the hatch finally opened, it was as though the very essence of despair was released.