Chapter 59

Now, Peter's face is cleaner than earlier. Still have some bruises, but at least, they are not bloody anymore. The fact that he lets other people take advantage of him, especially his abusive dad, makes me think how soft his heart is. And even if he didn't want to play basketball, he still tried to be an outstanding player for the sake of his dad, who just does all this crap to him. My dad can't even take a small piece of my hair while Peter's father crossed the line so far and broke the boundaries too much. More than he should have.

"You okay now?" I asked. I got and I know the answer, but the problem is he would never admit it and never tell me he isn't okay. He just nodded and smiled. Nate couldn't take his eyes off him. I guess now that he figured it all out, he can start being nice to Peter.

I looked at the open door and tried to stand up but before I can; he grabbed my hand, and it made me look back. The moment my eyes met his blue and teary ones, my heart stopped. All I know is that I am staring at the guy who needs me together with the guy who wants me.

"I'm sleepy," he whispered. I just smiled and sat back beside him. Even if I noticed the bloodstains on my comforter, I ignored them and pretended that they were never there.

"You can lie anytime." Before he could, Nate caught his back and looked at him.

"You can use my bed," the jealous side of him.

"I'm okay here," Peter closed his eyes but Nate still didn't let him lie. I knew what was going on with Nate. The jealous spirits possessed him.

"No, you can't lie with Britney," the look in his eyes gave a statement of how covetous he was about it.

"Why not?" Asked Peter.

"Because you're a boy, she's a girl,"

"This isn't the first time,"

"Still a no, take my bed and I'll stay on the floor," I never thought that Nate would do such things just to stop Peter from sleeping beside me. I wanted to stop him because of what he was doing but I couldn't. I was frozen by what I witnessed. Nate did his best so Peter won't sleep beside me. Well, we have been sleeping together in one bed since 1st grade. But I bet that he knows nothing about that so it's not his fault that he's trying to protect me.

Instead of fighting, Peter just let Nate take him to his bed and lie him down. Once when he was done, he caught me smiling at him.

People change.

From insulting him at a party to taking him to his bed.

I was right, everyone has a good side. Sometimes we just can't see it or it's hiding away from us.

"What?" I noticed Peter's closed eyes when I looked at him. Life has so much more to offer for someone as good as him. I hope that one day he would get the justice he deserves. I know a few, but not everything. Only a few. So I can't just blend in and try to stop his father.

The best thing I can do to help him as his best friend is to let him crush into me when he needs help and to keep his secrets. When Nate caught me, I was startled and struggled not knowing what to say. The unusual nice act he was showing was something new. And I'm not the kind of person who believes in everything new. Because like magic, things can look real but, in the end, they are just tricks.

Or maybe I was just overthinking again.

"Nothing, I was just checking if you can land him safely and take care of his bruises," I said calmly though I was already running out of lines to tell him as alibis.

He slowly sat beside me and joined me in watching Peter sleep. I sighed, didn't know what to say. Now that he knows a few things, I don't know how to explain the rest to him. And if I should trust him. "That must be hard for him..." he finally spoke as it broke the silence.

When I looked at his eyes, I saw the sadness I'd never seen before. I kind of want to still laugh because he tried his best to not let Peter sleep with me but this isn't the time for it. We should be serious. "Yeah, it was," I barely spoke, I thought that maybe Peter was still awake so I tried not to tell him everything.

"How could his dad do all those things to him?"

"You don't understand..."

"Please,"

"Well, his dad is a very famous 90s basketball player and he wants him to be as perfect as him so whenever Peter loses in games, his dad hits him... it's pretty obvious, he's too weak and soft to fight back." Knowing how hard life must be for him, makes me want to curse the world. Because Peter never deserved every bad memory that he has. So I'm trying to give him some good ones.

"Why doesn't he report it to the police? That's abuse!" He almost screamed.

"That's what he hasn't told me yet. Or anyone." It makes me wonder why. Why does he try to keep it a secret from the police? It's impossible that he loves his father that much when he hits him. Yet, I don't know all the information so I can't blame him.

"But if I were him, I could have killed his dad," I knew he would say that.

"But you're not. Everyone is different. You're not like him, he's not like you." I whispered with my eyes still locked on Peter's bruises. They're even deeper than how I think.

"I just wish that someday someone could let him live the life that he deserves. The happy one. Where he can do anything without limits," I added. And I know that the someone I'm talking about might not be me, but might be someone near.

Author's Note:

Sad days ☹ So...

Someone that can make Peter happy and live the life he deserves? Might not be her. Then who is it? Sorry for all the errors.

Love you all so much!!!

>333333 chain!

See you next time! Mwuah!