Chapter 10, Grian

Mumbo was gone. We couldn't find him anywhere.

Everywhere we looked had no sign of him. He was just...

Gone.

After a while we'd just resorted to wandering aimlessly through the woods, trying to find any sign of him, or so I thought.

I had subconsciously followed Scar back to his base, he'd probably figured that with mobs spawning we should go to bed, and I didn't blame him.

"Say, Grian? It's a bit dangerous out, do you want to spend the night?"

I wanted to. I really did. But something felt off, like I was being watched.

"N-no thank you, Scar. I'll be alright."

I turned to walk down the path between our bases.

"Wait!"

I turned, to see Scar with a handful of golden carrots and a diamond helmet.

"Take this." He says, extending his arms offering the goods.

I reach out to take them, and my hand brushes against a scar on his. It was long, winding and deep.

It reminded me of a time when Scar and I had gotten lost, and Mumbo found us. We'd just finished battling a horde of skeletons, and he'd warned us just in time to avoid an exploding creeper. I remembered how hopeless I'd felt. How I was starting to wonder if it was the end, surely Mumbo...

I dropped the carrots and helmet on the ground and hugged Scar. My face practically exploded in tears. Burying my face in Scar's chest I sought comfort. He rested his arms around me, and I cried even more.

I couldn't bear to think about anything, all I wanted to do was see his moustache again, hear him rambling on about redstone and tick delays, help him mine quartz in the nether.

Scar gently held me in his arms. I could feel his breathing was slightly ragged, as though he was crying too.

We stayed that way for what seemed like forever, and yet when we finally let go, it still felt too soon.

I bent down, collected up the carrots, and put on the helmet, waving goodbye before continuing down the path.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dappled moonlight seemed to dance on the ground as my vision warped with tears. Despite how much better I felt, I still couldn't stop crying.

Things would be better in the morning, surely.