Chapter 15, Grian

The floor was cold. My fingertips stung with pins and needles, and my cheek throbbed with fire.

I raised myself up into a sideways reclined position, resting on my left arm, and opened my eyes. The entirety of my vision was an endless white void, broken only by what I could see of myself, and the small stain on the floor where my face had been laying. I reached my hand up to my face, and when I pulled it away my fingertips were coated with blood.

As I was distracted, something slammed me hard in my back, and I slid across the floor for several feet, before stopping as I hit what appeared to be a wall.

I felt my fingers trembling under my weight as I pushed myself upwards onto my knees.

"Stay... Down."

I gasped sharply, painfully regretting the action as I felt a stabbing pain near my shoulder blade. Collapsing to the floor once more, I looked upwards.

An all-too-familiar figure loomed above me.

"I don't... why..."

"Why what, Grian? Why all this?" he said, gesturing around, "Just a little trick I picked up from you."

His gaze was one of sticky acidity as he glared down at me. I could practically see despise and hatred dripping from him.

"No... I..."  tried to speak, but I could not take enough breath. My body felt numb, save my stinging cheek and throbbing back. Again I attempted to get up, forcing myself to my hands and knees, before his foot slammed into my chest. Still despite the pain, I managed to get into a somewhat seated position, leaning against the wall of this void.

Before I was able to take a breath, his hand reached down and seized the front of my jumper. He jerked me upwards, bringing me to eye level.

I wanted to run. I wanted to disappear and flee. I felt myself gripping his arm, trembling.

"Do you feel it?"

"H..Wha.."

"DO YOU FEEL IT?" He asks, raising his voice to painful levels, "Do you feel it, Grian? That bitter, acidic bile rising in your throat? Your whole body trembles, shaking and convulsing, yet you can't move a muscle? Your hair stands on end, your skin, covered in goosebumps, yet you sweat as though you've run several kilometers in a desert. Adrenaline, pulsing through you like blood in your veins."

His eyes widened, his mad grin stretched across his face as he leans in close. In a much lower tone he asks,"Do you know what that is, Grian?"

"It's fear."

A coldness ran up my spine, my heart wrenching in terror as I gazed into his crazed artificial eyes. Eyes that looked as though they'd seen hell and were disappointed.

Locked in their gaze, I sputtered. Even my thoughts were incoherent babble, racing through my mind, trying to think of a way to escape.

He threw me back down to the ground.

"A fear I've wanted you to feel for what seems like eons."

I finally burst.

"But what about them? Why are you doing this? They never hurt you! Neither of them have ever even seen you before! Why are you taking this out on them?"

He grinned.