Chapter 17, Grian

No... He's not serious.... Is he...?

He sat there, his head buried in his knees. Shoulders shaking with sobs.

"NPC... I... I just can't..."

His head raised slowly, and his glazed gaze met mine.

"Why not? Surely it's a reasonable idea-"

"No! It won't work!" I sighed aloud. "Your programs just aren't compatible."

I thought for a moment. Surely there was something I could do.

Suddenly, a thought struck. I knew exactly what to do.

"Alright NPC, I have an idea, but we have to-"

Before I could finish, there was a sound above us. First a clatter, then a smash, and then the distinct sound of mining.

I stood up, and just above my head, the ceiling broke, revealing a bright, scarred smile.

"Grian! Oh finally!"

"Scar! Oh my gosh I'm so glad to see you!" I exclaimed in joy.

Scar, and to my surprise Mumbo, leapt down from above. Scar immediately started building a ladder to get out, but Mumbo stood still, glancing back and forth between NPC and I.

I opened my mouth to speak, but I was cut off.

"It's him. He's the real Grian." NPC said behind me. I turned around and looked at him, and his face seemed sullen.

By the time I turned back around Mumbo had already grappled me in a hug. His moustache brushed against my neck as he gripped my tightly, and I noticed he was shaking in sobs.

We held each other for what felt like hours, and when we finally let go my shoulder was soaked. Mumbo's nose was bright red and his eyes were still pouring.

"Alright, let's go guys!" Scar finally interjected, "We should hurry!"

Mumbo smiled and turned away to leave, and Scar stood by to go after.

"Wait, no!" I grabbed Scar's sleeve, holding him. "I can't leave him." Glancing back at NPC, I saw him look up at me.

"There's something we have to do, and you're coming with us!"

He hesitated for a moment, before finally getting up and going up the ladder.

I was about to follow, before I felt a hand on my chest. Scar stopped me.

"Wait, Grian."

I turned to him.

"What did you say to him? When you were here together, surely he's not coming on his own."

I took a breath, my back and chest beginning to throb again.

"It's... a pretty long story, and if I'm honest, I'm not sure right now is the right time to tell it "

He smiled, nodded, and let me go up the ladder.

At the top Mumbo helped me get up and out of the hole. To be honest, I wasn't too surprised to find myself suddenly in my living room.

NPC sat in an armchair, holding his face in his hands. I decided to sit next to him. Mumbo shot us a wary glare, but otherwise said nothing.

"NPC, I um..."

"Grian." He spoke, looking up at me. His voice was dull and his expression was distant. "We have to do it. Even if I don't make it, you have to."

I placed a hand on his shoulder. He flinched, but didn't pull away.

"It'll be okay. I promise."