Chapter 7, Mumbo

I hit the bottom. The hole was twenty five blocks down, and I only survived with half a heart.

The room was small, perhaps only a chunk wide, and pitch black. In one corner there was a bed and a chest, the rest of the room was bare except for the wall opposite the bed. It had a one block hole, and seven blocks deep into the hole was a set of iron bars. Too far for me to reach.

I sat down on the bed, trying to comprehend what just happened. Grian, one of my oldest friends, and perhaps even best friend, just betrayed me.

Somehow Grian found out how to make a bed-swapping machine, and trapped my base. This isn't like Grian at all, Grian's redstone skills are atrocious, he could never build this properly in the first try. Something was going on.

"Knock knock, Mumbo."

Grian stepped forward, just behind the iron bars, his smug grin shone. But, Grian never grins like that, it sent a chill up my spine.

"Happy with your new base? I'm sure you've gotten yourself comfortable."

"Grian! Why would you do something like this? Your pranks have gone too far!" My face was flushed red with anger, and embarrassment.

"Oh, don't be so soft, Mumbo," Grian smirked, "Why you just tried pulling that exact same machine last night, what's so wrong with a little.... how do you say.... Uno reverse?"

"All my machine would have done was replace your bed with a different color! Not send you to your death!" I shouted.

"You're alive, aren't you? And you'd be unharmed if you'd've landed on the bed."

"Landed on the- Grian! This is unacceptable! What's gotten into you?"

Grian's grin turns into a crazed smile, his eyes widening in madness.

"You silly old spoon. Has my nature slipped your mind already? It's only been five years. I find it hard for even your sad excuse for a memory to forget me. Oh well, I guess it's time I had some fun."

He turns, and Grian slips into the shadows.

I was shocked. How? Why? What did he mean by saying it's been five years? Five years since what?

Since build battle? No, that was about three years ago. Season 6 of Hermitcraft? That makes no sense at all. Oh, if only I could remember!

I can no longer resist, and I rest my head on the pillow of the bed. Tears welled up in my eyes.

He's right, I'm nothing more than a stupid, mustachioed spoon. I can't remember how I built that rocket, let alone something that happened five years ago. I'm just pathetic. Worthless. An inconvenience.

Crying myself to sleep, I wonder....

What made him change like this?