......

I'd finished just as the night hit it's coldest, some two or three hours before sunrise. He was completely blocked in, and only a fool would go to bed with all their gear.

Overheard conversations between Grian and Scar often said that they would always empty their inventories before bed. That's how I was certain Mumbo wouldn't escape, and it's why I was certain now.

Or was I?

I hadn't bothered to check on him since last night, and I certainly haven't been keeping tabs on Grian as diligently as I should.

I decided to follow the path from Scar's base, the one Grian took last night. It was long, and winding, but had not even a single fork or branch. When I arrived it was much later, and the sun could be seen as a sparkling, hair-thin line peeking over the horizon.

I could see his figure through the windows, darting about gathering supplies. I was just in time.

He'd finished putting everything in his inventory. Armor, tools, food. Enough supplies for two people. This meant either he was going to Scar's base to make a search party, or he was planning on giving these to Mumbo if he found him.

Grian seemed to decide on the latter, heading off on a path in another direction, somewhere off to the northeast. I followed behind, far enough away that I wouldn't be spotted.

When we finally came to Mumbo's now beautifully refurbished base, Grian almost seemed taken aback for a moment, before pressing on.

I perched atop the rim, able to keep an eye on Grian through the glass roof without being seen.

He wandered around for a moment, at first seemingly searching for signs of clues or hints, not that he would find any, but after a moment he began almost browsing the little details of the base.

The look on his face was one of familiarity and nostalgia, until it was suddenly swapped for one of horrific realization. He'd figured it out. No matter, I'd expected this. He was Grian after all.

He then began racing about, tearing up all my hard work. My carpets, my paintings, walls and couches, until he stopped.

He was looking at one of the many decorative trapdoors on the floor, but surely he didn't know....

He did. Upon opening it he was startled to see my tunnel. Darn, I thought I'd hidden it better than that.

As Grian descended, I decided action was now necessary. If he broke out Mumbo, I was sunk, and I'd never.... see.....

I had to do something.

I got down swiftly by the staircase, went over to the hole, and stopped. Was that... shouting?

Mumbo must've thought Grian was me! Oh, this might not be good.

There was a loud thump, then more shouting. What had happened down there?

After several minutes, Grian ascended the ladder. His face was cut, bleeding on his left cheek, and he appeared lightheaded and nauseous.

Despite where I stood, he took no notice of me, instead staggering over to a pillar, leaning his head and arms against it to steady himself. His breathing was ragged as he attempted to take control of it, and he wobbled ever so slightly on his feet.

Mumbo had nearly knocked him out cold.

He stood that way for nearly half an hour, shifting his weight from foot to foot and moaning slightly every once in a while, as I just waited out of curiosity.

I shook my head. Snapping out of it, I remembered what I came for. I had to do something.

He was so vulnerable. Physically. Mentally. Emotionally. This would be easy.

I walked over to him. He still took no notice of me, and I laid my left hand on his back. He gave out a slight moan, but otherwise did nothing. He hadn't even opened his eyes.

I concentrated. It was much different with the other two.

With Mumbo, I knew I'd have to wear him down first, so we fixed his house, then the rest was as easy as a lullaby to a child.

Scar, I knew, would definitely not be the same, instead I preyed on his hyperempathy, I knew it would work when he began copying my feigned panic after Grian left. He then absorbed my breathing, and was just as easy to succumb.

With Grian, I was lucky to find him in such a vulnerable state.

My thoughts returned to now, and I continued my focus.

I noticed Grian's breathing begin to slow. He'd finally stopped resisting. He seemed to shudder slightly, and he unclenched his fists and jaw. His shoulders fell, his moans softened, and his stance finally let go as he collapsed, unconscious.

I scooped him up in my arms, readying myself for the final phase of my plan.