eleven: getting to know you getting to know all about you

you guys have really shown love to this book and I just want to say thank you guys so much I appreciate it♥️

Jordan

I was sitting on the couch watching film when baby girl came into the living room. I was very confused because she was standing in front of me with pens and paper in her hands. Of course I'm caught off guard and just staring back at her. I feel like it's the dad thing to do until she gets tired and leaves. Once I notice she's standing her ground I pause my film and lean forward.

"What's wrong baby?"

"Um my dance teacher wants us to do show and tell and she wants us to talk about people that inspire us. She wants us to ask our role models questions and well...I picked you daddy."

I'm taken back and I'm trying so hard to not cry right now. The bond we've created in the matter of weeks is so special and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If basketball were to keep my away from my daughter...I would stop playing. I've already missed so much of her life and I don't plan on missing any more if it. I couldn't contained myself and I just let the tears fall out of my eyes. I hear my little girl suck her teeth and hand me a tissue.

"Daddy why are you always crying I'm starting to run out of words of affirmation here."

I laugh and grab the tissue whipping my eyes. Raelynn walks close and stand in between my legs cradling my cheeks. I engulf her in a bear hug and place kisses all over her face. My baby girl and she has grown a little bit since being in my care.

"I'm sorry for making you cry daddy."

"No you don't need to apologize. Don't ever apologize when you know you didn't do anything wrong daddy is just emotional right now. What made you pick me how come you don't want to ask mommy questions?"

"Because I love mommy but you just seem like the cooler parent...the one with more drip."

I let out a laugh and make a mental note to bring that up to Reyna whenever we talk.

"I'd be honored to answer your questions babycakes."

"Ok you can keep watching your film and I'll ask the questions."

I help her get on the couch and lift my blanket up to place over her legs. She snuggles close to me and place the paper of questions in front of us.

"Ok let's get started shall we", she says in an Australian accent.

I start laughing and place my arm around her.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty seven."

"Really?"

She stares at me with her eyes squinted as if she didn't believe me.

"How old did you think I was baby girl?"

"Seventeen."

I let out a laugh but cover it with a cough when I noticed that she was dead serious about her answer. Once I see her trying to write seventeen I take the pen out of her hand and put down my real age.

"Hey I was writing!"

"It's alright babygirl ask the next question."

"When's your birthday?"

"June nineteenth."

"Occupation? What's that?"

"It's what daddy does for living, play basketball."

"Favorite animal or animals?"

"Dogs, cats, and giraffes."

"Like me", she smiles.

• • •

An hour has probably passed by and I was still answering questions. At this point it was just questions apple pie was coming up with.

"Ok last one...when was the best day of your life? Describe it."

"The best day of my life was I think a couple days after the championship. I was asleep in my living room and I heard this small and faint knock on the door. Of course I wake up to see who it was because it was hella late. When I opened it I didn't see anyone until I heard this little voice that belonged to the cutest little girl in the world. I immediately knew she was my daughter after taking one look at her face. I regret passing out but the news was very shocking to me at first. The best day of my life was meeting my daughter."

I hear small sniffles and I look down to see my baby wiping her face. I pick her up and seat her in my lap just letting her cry it out.

"I love you daddy."

"I love you too baby."

I rock us back and forth until I heard small snores come out of her mouth.

• • •

Today is the show and tell presentations, and I made sure to clear my schedule to hear this. Raelynn is very excited, but I can tell she's a little nervous. All of her other friends were talking about parents (mainly moms), grandparents, and siblings. Her teacher also wanted them to bring a picture and baby girl decided on the one we took at the zoo. I pull out my phone to record a video once I see her get up. She's the last one to go and I hope her anxiety doesn't kick in.

"Um hi my name is Raelynn Poole and today I'm going to talk about my daddy Jordan Poole."

She takes a deep breath while looking down at the paper we wrote.

"You got this baby girl."

She looks up smiling at me and then smiles at the picture of us together.

"My daddy is a professional basketball player and plays for the Golden State Warriors. He's seventeen years-"

"Twenty seven."

"Seventeen."

"Twenty seven."

At this point all of the moms and her teacher are laughing and my little girl playfully rolls her eyes.

"My dad is twenty seven years old and he was born on June nineteenth. Are birthdays are very close to each other and we're both Geminis whatever that means. His favorite animals are cats, dogs, and giraffes just like me. Me and him are very similar and even look alike all of his teammates say I'm his twin. His favorite food is literally everything he told me he doesn't have a specific favorite. Also my daddy is a champion, finals mvp, and had the best free throw percentage in the league the past couple of seasons. I love my daddy very much and wouldn't trade him for anything in the world."

I quickly wipe the tears that were falling down my face and continue to record the video.

"My favorite thing about my daddy is the bear hugs...nobody can't compete with those. I also love how sometimes if I'm having nightmares he lets me sleep with him. To make me feel even more better he'll sometimes bring our dog Kobe and two cats Kota and Kai to sleep in there too. My daddy is the best man in the whole wide world and is my superhero."

Everyone claps and at this point my face is drenched. One of the other moms hands me a couple of tissues and I thank her. Her dance teacher dismisses class and my apple pie comes running into me.

"How did I do?"

"You did really good babygirl I'm so proud of you."

I help her put her jacket on and change out of her ballet shoes into her crocs. I hood my hand out and she place hers in there as we exit the building.