eighteen: first hair appointment

Jordan

I finally decided to put my sister's suggestion in motion, and Raelynn is getting her first silk press today. My eyes have been puffy since last night due to all the crying I did. The appointment was set when we came back from Milwaukee, but still... she's just my baby, and she's going to look so mature with her hair straightened. Walking to her bathroom, I see her brushing her teeth and getting ready for the day. Rae asked if the girls could come and do a sleepover, but I told her it had to be at one of her uncles' houses this time. Those little monsters tore up my penthouse; it took us hours to clean everything. Our cleaning didn't have any purpose because it got messy again during brunch. After all, they wanted to help us make the food. While my daughter is still getting ready, I pull out some shorts and an Oakland warriors tee that she can wear to her appointment. Yesterday I got all the stuff that the stylist suggested so I can maintain her silk press if it got messed up a little bit. I have watched so many videos on maintaining it, and I remembered the little things Reyna would do whenever she got her hair done.

My little bean enters her room, and I help her into her day's outfit. I let her pick her shoes, and she decided on the laser orange dunk lows.

"Are you excited to get your hair today?"

"I am so excited! Thank you again daddy for letting me do this."

"No problem, baby. I just want to make sure you're happy."

Once she gets situated, I grab my backpack with all of our things and exit our home. I plan on staying the entire time, and I do have trust in the stylist, but still. As a parent, especially her father, I want to make sure her hair is not being ripped out or if she is cutting too much. Ever since Raelynn Jordyn has been with me her hair has grown like crazy, and I'll be time if all my time and work go to waste.

• • •

We make it to the hair salon and check in at the front desk. I thought it was very important to go to a black-owned salon and have a black stylist work on her hair. Having someone of the same race as us is important to me because we gotta support each other, and she will be familiar with her hair type, curl pattern, all that. I brought everything from her iPad to her coloring books in case she gets bored while sitting in the chair. In all honestly, I think she will use her iPad most of the time. I brought my laptop as well to watch some movies to keep myself entertained as well. Soon I see Nakita walk up to us with big smiles. She bends down to Raelynn's level and holds her hand out.

"You are the most adorable little girl...my name is Nakita."

"Nice to meet you my name is Raelynn Jordyn Poole", she smiles.

"You can just chill here and I'll call you over when shes done."

Im actually glad that I can see her station from the waiting area, so that takes off a lot of stress. Raelynn turns around and waves at me before Nakita takes her to the chair to prep her from shampoos.

• • •

I feel myself being shaken and I jolt up and wipe the dried up drool from the side of my mouth. Nikita is standing over with a smile on her face.

"I just finished do you want to see her?"

Nodding my head yes I follow Nakita to her station to see Rae messing with her hair. My baby was all smiles in the mirror and she looks so beautiful. This is the only time where she resembles her mom and tears start leaking out of my eyes. I fan my hands towards my face trying my best to suck this shit up...I can't be going soft right now.

"Do you like it mama?"

"Yes!"

"You look so pretty babygirl just like mommy."

I was surprised that her hair stopped right above her behind but at the same time I'm not. I take very good care of her hair because Reyna not finna blame nothing on me. Pulling out my camera phone I take a few pictures and set the one of me and her as my lock screen. Rae jumps out of the chair and we pay with Nakita and I give her a tip because she got my baby's hair pressed to the t.

"Alright you ready for some ice cream baby?"

"Yes! Can I get the red velvet one I got last time?"

"Of course you can."

I'm actually enjoying the dad life right now.